This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Low Cost Dual Axis Accelerometer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The architecture of a monolithic, dual axis, low cost surface micromachined  accelerometer is described, initial characterization results are presented, and issues surrounding the intended application are discussed. While the fabrication technology for the integrated mechanical sensor and electronics is essentially the same as that which supported earlier single axis products     , a fundamentally different circuit architecture leads to much more compact and higher performance second generation devices.
Compared to available bulk micromachined accelerometer sensors, surface micro-machined sensors are typically 20X smaller (0.58 mm x 0.66 mm) and have a natural axis of sensitivity (in the plane of the chip) that facilitates multi-axis sensing. The dual axis surface micromachined accelerometer shares on-chip BiMOS circuit and packaging overhead between axes, and vividly illustrates the cost reduction potential of a fully integrated single chip approach for multi-axis sensing.
The dual axis accelerometer has been specifically developed for automotive safety systems that provide both front and side airbag protection. Features include low pass filtering, digitally activated self test, a low all-inclusive sensitivity tolerance (over supply, temperature, and life), and a surface-mountable 14 lead package.
CitationSherman, S., Samuels, H., and Riedel, W., "A Low Cost Dual Axis Accelerometer," SAE Technical Paper 970607, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970607.
- Howe, R.T. “Integrated Silicon Electromechanical Vapor Sensor” Dept of Elec Eng and Comp Sci. U.C. Berkeley Dec 1984
- Sherman, S.J. Tsang W.K. Core T.A. Quinn, D.E. “A Low Cost Monolithic Accelerometer’ 1992 Symposium of VLSI Circuits Seattle, WA. 34 35
- Sherman, S.J. Tsang, W.K. Core, T.A. Payne R.S. Quinn D.E. Chau K.H.-L. Farash, J.A. Baum, S.K. “A Low Cost Monolithic Accelerometer; Product/Technology Update” Dec 1992 San Fran. 501 504
- Chau, K.H.-L. Lewis, S.R. Zhao, Y. Howe, R.T. Bart, S.F. Marcheselli, R.G. “An Integrated Force-Balanced Capacitive Accelerometer For Low g Applications” Sensors and Actuators: A. Physical ANA054 472 476
- Core, T.A. Tsang, W.K. Sherman, S.J. “Fabrication Technology for an Integrated Surface-Micromachined Sensor” Solid State Technology Oct. 1993 39 47
- Payne, R.S. Dinsmore, K.A. “Surface Micromachined Accelerometer: A Technology Update” S.A.E. International Congress and Exposition Detroit 1991