This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Devices to Simulate Toepan and Floorpan Intrusion
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two sled systems capable of producing structural intrusion in the footwell region of an automobile have been developed. The first, System A, provides translational toepan intrusion using actuator pistons to drive the footwell structure of the test buck. These actuator pistons are coupled to the hydraulic decelerator of the test sled and are powered by hydraulic energy from the impact event. Resulting footwell intrusion is characterized using a toepan pulse analogous to the acceleration pulse used to characterize sled and vehicle decelerations.
Sled tests with System A indicate that it is capable of accurately and repeatably simulating toepan/floorpan intrusion into the occupant footwell. Test results, including a comparison of lower extremity response between intrusion sled tests and no intrusion sled tests, indicate that this system is capable of repeatable, controlled structural intrusion during a sled test impact. Test results also suggest that lower extremity forcing during footwell intrusion is significantly larger than such forcing with no intrusion and that response and risk of injury for occupants in frontal or frontal-offset crashes are more severe. To expand the available range of simulated footwell intrusion, the design of a second intrusion test system, System B, is presented. This system includes toepan translation, rotation and combined translation/rotation motions as well as an expanded range of toepan accelerations. System B also allows the independent motion of the left and right toepan thus enabling the simulation of yawing motions in the occupant footwell.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||CAD Model for SAE J826® 3-D H-Point Machine|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Devices for Use in Defining and Measuring Vehicle Seating Accommodation|
CitationBass, C., Dekel, E., Crandall, J., Lange, M. et al., "Experimental Devices to Simulate Toepan and Floorpan Intrusion," SAE Technical Paper 970574, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970574.
- The ISO-ASME Orifice Coefficient Equation Mechanical Engineering July 1981 44 45
- Crandall, J.R. Bass, C.R. Klopp, G.S. Pilkey, W.D. Sled Tests with Toepan Intrusion Using Post-Mortem Human Subjects and the Hybrid III Dummy IRCOBI Dublin, Ireland October 1996
- Crandall, J.R. Jordan, A. Bass, C.R. Klopp, G.S. Pilkey, W.D. Sieveka, E.M. Reproducing the Structural Intrusion of Frontal Offset Crashes in the Laboratory Sled Test Environment SAE Paper 950643 1995 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Crandall, J.R. Martin, P.G. Sieveka, E.M. Klopp, G.S. Pilkey, W.D. Dischinger, P.C. Burgess, A.R. O'Quinn, T.D. Schmidhauser, C.B. The influence of footwell intrusion on lower extremity response and injury in frontal crashes 39th Annual Proceedings of the AAAM Chicago October 16-18 1995
- Dischinger, P. Burgess, A.P. Cushing, B.M. Pilkey, W.D. Crandall, J.R. Sieveka, E.M. Klopp, G.S. Lower Extremity Trauma in Vehicular Front Seat Occupants 4th Annual CDC Injury Prevention through Biomechanics Symposium Wayne State University Detroit, Michigan May 5-6 1994 29 42
- Grosch, L. Baumann, K. H. Holtze, H. Schwede, W. Safety Performance of Passenger Cars Designed to Accommodate Frontal Impacts with Partial Barrier Overlap SAE Paper 890748 1989 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Henson, S.E. Dueweke, J. J. Huang, M. Computer Modeling of Intrusion Effects on Occupant Dynamics in Very Severe Frontal Crashes SAE Paper 830613 1983 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Kuppa, S. M. Morgan, R. M. Recommendations for a Sled and Intrusion Pulse in the Study of Injuries to the Lower Extremities Proceedings of 21st Annual Workshop on Human Subjects for Biomechanical Research San Antonio, TX 1993 71 80
- Morgan, R. M. Eppinger, R. H. Hennessey, B. C. Ankle Joint Injury Mechanism for Adults in Frontal Automotive Impact Proceedings of the 35th Stapp Car Crash Conference San Diego, CA 1991 189 198
- Panath-Skogsmo, I. Nilsson, R. Frontal Crash Tests - A Comparison of Methods SAE Paper 942228 1994 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Pilkey, W. D. Sieveka, E. Crandall, J. R. Klopp, G. S. The Influence of Vehicular Intrusion and Rotation on Occupant Protection in Full Frontal and Frontal Offset Crashes Proceedings of the 14th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced safety of vehicles Munich, Germany May 1994 734 741
- Prasad, P. Smorgonsky, L. Comparative Evaluation of Various Frontal Impact Procedures SAE Paper 950646 1995 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Yamada, H. Evans, F.G. Strength of Biological Materials Williams and Wilkins Company Baltimore, MD 1970