This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Decay of Shock Waves Propagating in a Kinked Exhaust Pipe
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the present paper the decay of shock waves propagating in a kinked exhaust pipe was investigated by numerical simulations based on the TVD scheme. In order to clarify the validity of the present computational model, the numerical results on blast waves propagating in a kinked duct were compared with the experimental ones. Various initial conditions as well as mesh sizes were examined to simulate exploding wire experiments. Shock wave geometry based on computed density contours showed qualitatively good agreement with the schlieren photographs. Measured pressure changes across the shock front also showed good agreement, when they were compared quantitatively with computations on the upper and the lower walls, and on the center line along the ducts. The present simulation model putting a narrow high pressure region as initial conditions in a duct was useful to simulate blast wave propagation.
CitationSakamoto, I., Tanaka, T., and Higashino, F., "Decay of Shock Waves Propagating in a Kinked Exhaust Pipe," SAE Technical Paper 970500, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970500.
- Sekine N. et. al. Shock Wave Development and Propagation in Automobile Exhaust System SAE 88082
- Ozawa S. Studies of micro-pressure Wave Radiated from a Tunnel Exit RAILWAY TECHNICAL RESEARCH REPORT, NO. 1121 The Railway Technical Research Institute, Japanese National Railways 1979
- Higashino F. Moribe N. Aki T. TRANSIENT BEHAVIOR OF SHOCK WAVES IN A KINKED DUCT, CURRENT TOPICS IN SHOCK WAVES 17th Int. Symp. on shock waves and shock tubes 1989 844 849
- Miyoshi H. Decay of Propagating Blast Waves in a Kinked Duct Master's thesis of Tokyo Noko University 1990
- Yee H.C. Warming R.F. Harten A. Implicit Total Variation Diminishing(TVD) Schemes for Steady-State Calculation J. Comput. Phys. 57 1985 327 360
- Sakamoto I. Higashino F. Numerical Simulation on the Propagation of Pressure Waves in a Kinked Duct Trans. JSME(B) 62 600 1996 3009 3014