This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Risk and Benefits of Airbag Systems: Are They Needlessly Killing and Injuring Motorists?
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reviews the literature regarding injuries and fatalities in frontal accidents in vehicles equipped with air bag systems.
An analysis is presented of the nature of fatal injuries attributable to airbag deployment, which accounts for the age, sex, and accident modality. Injury analysis is reviewed in the same fashion.
Airbag-induced injuries appear to relate to the proximity of the motorist to the unit when it inflates. Suggestions have been made to modify seat belt systems, the ergonomics of the driver's position and the design of the airbag units to minimize deployment injury.
CitationCoben, L., "The Risk and Benefits of Airbag Systems: Are They Needlessly Killing and Injuring Motorists?," SAE Technical Paper 970492, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970492.
- Smith, G. Air Bag Uvdate--Recent Crash Case Histories SAE 770155
- Romeo, D. Morgan, R. Small Car Aspirator Air Bag Restraint SAE 770934
- Mertz, H. J. “Restraint Performance of the 1973-1976 GM Air Cushion Restraint System” SAE Technical Paper #880400 1988 61 72 Pursel, H. D. et al. “Matching Case Methodology for Measuring Restraint Effectiveness” SAE Technical Paper # 780415 1978
- Viano, D. “Effectiveness of Safety Belts and Airbags in Preventing Fatalities” SAE Technical Publication # 91091 1991 168
- Scholz, H. The Daimler-Benz Development of a Final Production Air Bag System for the U.S.A. Experimental Safety Vehicles Conference 361 369
- Augenstein, J. et al Airbag Protected Crash Victims-The Challenge of Identifying Occult Iniuries SAE 940714
- Coben, L. Pennsylvania Products Liability Guide George T. Bisel Company 1992
- Kress, T. et al A Discussion of the Air Bag System and Review of Induced Iniuries SAE 960658
- Kress, T. et al Dalmotas, D. et al Air Bag Deployment Crashes in Canada Experimental Safety Vehicle 1996 Conference Huelke, D. Front Seat Passengers and Airbag Devlovment Experimental Safety Vehicle 1996 Conference Huelke, D. Cranial-Vertebral Fractures and Disclocations Associated With Steering Wheel Airbag Deployment Experimental Safety Vehicle 1996 Conference Augenstein, J. et al Iniuries Sustained by Drivers in Air Bag Crashes Experimental Safety Vehicle 1996 Conference Morris, A. et al A Review of Driver Airbag Deployments in Europe and Japan To Date Experimental Safety Vehicle 1996 Conference Langwieder, K. Experience With Airbag-Equipped Cars in Real-Life Accidents in Germany Experimental Safety Vehicle 1996 Conference Huelke Moore et al Upper Extremity Iniuries Related to Air Bag Deployments SAE 940716 Jumbelic, M. Fatal Iniuries in a Minor Traffic Collision Journal of Forensic Sciences 40 May 1995 492 494 CDC Air-Bag-Associated Fatal Iniuries to Infants and Children Riding in Front Passenger Seats-United States JAMA December 13 1996 274 1752 1753 Brown Roe Henry A Fatality Associated with the Deployment of an Automobile Airbag Journal of Trauma Injury 39 6 1204 1206 1995 Dalrnotas et al Airbag Deployments: The Canadian Experience Journal of Trauma 38 4 476 481 1995 Reiland-Smith et al Traumatic Aortic Valve Injury Sustained Despite the Deployment of an Automobile Air Bag Chest 103 May 1993 1603 Smock Nichols Air Bag Induced Fatal Iniuries: A Case Report American Academy of Forensic Sciences February 1993 127 Huelke Moore Field Investigations Of The Performance of Air Bag Deployments in Frontal Collisions Accident Analysis and Prevention 25 6 717 730 1993
- Highway & Vehicle Safety Report 22 19 May 27 1996
- Wu, H. et al. “Interaction Dynamics of an Inflating Air Bag and a Standing Child” SAE Tech. Paper # 730604 1973 Mertz, H. et al. “Response of Animals Exposed to Deployment of Various Passenger Inflatable Restraint System Concepts for a Variety of Collision Severities and Animal Positions” SAE Tec. Paper #826047 1982 Horsch, J. Culver, C. “A Study of Driver Interactions with an Inflating Air Cushion” SAE Tech. Paper # 791029 1979
- Melvin, J. Horsch, J. et al. “Assessment of Air Bag Deployment Loads with the Small Female Hybrid III Dummy” SAE Tech. Paper # 933119 Horsch, J. et al. “Assessment of Air Bag Deployment Loads” SAE Tech. Paper # 902324
- Coben, L. The Analysis and Presentation of a Restraint System Case Products Liability Advisory 75 May 1995 Lingred, S. Word, E. Seatbelt and Accident Prevention Practitioner 188 467 473 1962
- Duma, S. et al Airbag-Induced Eve Iniuries: A Report of 25 Cases The Journal of Trauma 41 1 114 119 1996 Garcia, R. Air Bag Implicated in Temporomandibular Joint Injury Journal of Craniomandibular Practice April 1994 12 2 125 127
- Morris Thomas et al. Supra
- Kress Porta et al. Supra