This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Advances and Trends in Sheet Metal Forming Processes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to reduce fuel consumption light weight vehicles are in development. For this HSLA- steel, bakehardening- steels, stainless-steels and aluminum will be used for the body in white of personal cars.
To form inner automotive parts of high dimensional accuracy out of steel with high strength or out of aluminum and to form automotive parts of high surface quality as well as of high dimensional accuracy a reproducible forming process is needed. For low volume cars tools and dies have to be as cheep as possible. The press has to be able to take over die functions and over the stroke steerable blankholder forces. Tools and dies for high volume parts can use expensive tools and dies like dies with nitrogen cylinders.
In the future these cylinders will have the possibility to steer the pressure and so in turn the blankholder force over the stroke. See paper „Force- Stroke- Curve of Gas Springs” (State-of-the-Art Stamping) held on the same conference. Mechanical single acting presses with CNC controllable hydraulic cushion systems will replace mechanical double acting presses. For dies up to 1500mm x 1500mm CNC controllable 4 point hydraulic cushion systems will be installed in new presses as well as replacement in existing presses instead of pneumatic systems and instead of double acting presses.
For larger dies multipoint hydraulic cushion systems will be installed in presses as well as in transfer- presses. There are two different possibilities to build up such cushion systems. One possibility is a cushion system builded up by a lot of hydraulic cylinders, each cylinder equipped with a direct connected servo valve or proportional valve. On the cushion plate mechanical height adjustable cushion pins support the lower binder of the die. So the blankholder force can be steered over the stroke by the 4 point hydraulic system.
The pressure between the blank and the binders can be adjusted for specific areas by the height of the cushion pins and by the pressure in the hydraulic cylinders.
In the near future it seems to be possible to run closed loop blankholder forces by measuring the friction forces and the wrinkle height of the blank between the binders with special sensors following desired friction forces and maximum allowable wrinkle heights curves over the stroke. (SAE Paper 960824). Furthermore pulsating blankholder forces seem to be helpful in draw operations specially for difficult to deep drawn parts. Trends and goals for the future show that we will come to a reproducible forming process with closed loop pulsating BHF- systems to meet the task of drawing difficult to form parts out of HSLA-steel, bake hardening-steel, stainless- steel and aluminum with high dimensional quality and excellent surface.
|Technical Paper||Development of Metal Full-Filling Method Joining Ceramic Shaft to Metal Sleeve for High Performance|
|Aerospace Standard||Patterns of O-Ring Failures|
|Technical Paper||Thermal Stress Analysis of a Novel Design Air-Gap Insulated Piston|
CitationSiegert, K., "Advances and Trends in Sheet Metal Forming Processes," SAE Technical Paper 970436, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970436.
- Siegert, K. CNC-Hydraulic Multipoint Blankholder Systems for Sheet Metal Forming Presses Annals of the CIRP 42 1 1993 319 322
- Straube, O. 1994 Carl-Hanser- Verlag München, Wien
- Klamser, M. Siegert, K. 1992 1992
- Kergan, R. Computerised control of the blankholder force in deep drawing Colmar
- Siegert K Ziegler, M. Closed Loop Binder Force System SAE International Congress and Exp. Detroit, Michigan, USA Feb 26-29 1996
- Siegert K. Ziegler M. 1996 Fellbach
- Siegert K. Ziegler, M. 1996 Fellbach
- Da Re', Mario Process and hydraulic press for the pressing of sheets
- Shedin, E. Mechanisms Influencing the Stability of the Friction Conditions During Forming Operations IDDRG Working Group Meeting Lisbon 1994
- Siegert K. Ziegler M. Wagner S. Closed Loop Control of Friction Force Second Sheet Metal Conference Ohio State University OCT. 1996
- Schey, J. Autobody Stamping Applications and Analysis SAE- Paper 920634 1992
- Schey, J. Effect of Bead Finish Orientat5ion on Friction and Galling in the Drawbead Test SAE- Paper 920632 1992
- Siegert K. Simon J. Frictional and Forming Behavior of Zinc- Coated Steel Sheets SAE- Paper 960818
- De Boeck A. Vanthournout M. Van der Hoeven J.-M. The Influence of Texture on the Deformation Behavior of Electrodeposited Zinc Coatings 18the Biennal Congress of IDDRG Lisbon 1994
- Roberts W.T. Wilson D.V. Directional Effects in Bake Hardening Steels 18the Biennal Congress of IDDRG Lisbon 1994
- Van der Hoeven J.-M- Rubben J.-M. Lambert K. De Rycke F. Scheers I. Formability Issues for Tailored Blanks 19the Biennal IDDRG Congress Budapest 1996
- Toyota Toyota Develops New Flexible Press System News from Toyota 26 March 1990
- Siegert K. Wagner S. Ziegler M. Closed Loop Binder Force System SAE Technical Papers Series 960824
- Siegert K. Knabe E. Fundamental Research and Die Concepts for Deep, Drawing of Tailored Blanks SAE Technical Papers Series 950921
- Picket, M.F. Bhatt, K.M. Formability issues in the application of tailored welded blank sheets SAE Technical Papers Series 930278
- The Aluminum Association Design for Aluminum- A Guide for Automotive Engineers First Feb. 1980
- Siegert K. 1995 DGM-Verlag 3-88355-174-0
- Micari F. Fralini L. Casto S.Lo. Alberti N. Prediction of ductile fracture occurrence in deep drawing of square boxes The Annals of the Cirp 1996
- Weinmann K.J. Kemosky S.K. Friction Studies in sheet metal forming based on a unique die shoulder force transducer The Annals of the Cirp 1996
- Weinmann K.J. Michler K.J. Rao, V.D Kasani A. R. Development of a Computer Controlled Drawbead Simulator for Sheet Metal Forming Annals of the Cirp 43 1 1994
- Michler, J.R. The Drawbead as a Control Element in Sheet Metal Forming Michigan Technological University 1994