This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Investigations on the Front Fender of a Motorcycle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Numerical investigations on motorcycle wheels are described, in order to point out their aerodynamic characteristics and their influence on the global aerodynamic behavior of the motorcycles. The trials studied the development of the design of the front mud-guard in a commercial motorcycle, that showed an undesirable lift effect during on-road and wind tunnel tests. The functionality of the mud-guard was checked, varying its shape and dimensions, in order to reduce the lift effect and eventually to improve the whole behavior of the motorcycle.
|Technical Paper||Simultaneous Evaluation on Aerodynamics and Air-cooling Performances for Motorcycle using CFD Analysis|
|Technical Paper||Aerodynamic Investigation of a Scooter in the University of Perugia Wind Tunnel Facility|
CitationPiccioni, C., Cianetti, F., and Paolotti, A., "Numerical Investigations on the Front Fender of a Motorcycle," SAE Technical Paper 970412, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970412.
- FLOTRAN “ Benchmark Manual ” Compuflo, INC. Houston, PA 1991
- Bearman P.W. et al. “ The Effect of a Moving Floor on Wind-Tunnel Simulation of Road Vehicles ” Paper N. 880245 , SAE Transactions, J. Passenger Cars 97 1988 4200 4214
- Benzing E. “ Ali-Wings. Studio per tecnici e piloti di auto da corsa ” Automobilia Alfieri Bruno Cremona 1991
- Blevins R. D. “ Applied Fluid Dynamics Handbook ” van Nostrand Reinhold New York 1984
- Carr G. W. “ Potential for Aerodynamic Drag Reduction in Car Design ” Proceedings of the International Association for Vehicle Design 1983
- Cogotti A. “ Aerodynamic Characteristics of Car Wheels ” Impact of Aerodynamics on Vehicle Design, Proceedings of the International Association of Vehicle Design 1983
- Fackrell J. E. Harvey, J. K. “ The Flow Field and Pressure Distribution of an Isolated Road Wheel ” Paper 10, Advances in Road Vehicle Aerodynamics BHRA Fluid Engineering England 1973
- Scibor-Rylski A. J. “ Road Vehicle Aerodynamics ” Second Halsted Press Book John Wiley & Sons New York 1984
- Stapleford W. R. Carr, G. W. “ Aerodynamic Characteristics of Exposed Rotating Wheels ” MIRA Report No. 1970/2 1969