This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Spray Combustion and Emissions in a Direct-Injection Two Stroke Engine With Wall-Stabilization of an Air-Assisted Spray
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Previous experiments using an air-assisted spray in a two-stroke direct-injected engine demonstrated a significant improvement in combustion stability at part-load conditions when a wide injection spray was used. It was hypothesized that the decrease in variability was due to the spray following the combustion chamber wall, making it less affected by variations in the in-cylinder gas flows.
For this study, experiments were conducted to investigate engine spray combustion for cases where engine performance was not dominated by cyclic variation. Combustion and emission performance data was collected for a wide range of injection timings at several speed/load conditions. Experimental data for combustion shows that combustion stability is relatively unaffected by injection timing changes over a 40 to 100 degree window, and tolerant to spark gap projections over a range of 0.7 to 5.2 mm, depending on operating conditions. However, exhaust emissions are much more sensitive to injection timing. Spray characterization data shows that the air/fuel mixture exiting the injector tends to follow the hemispherical chamber walls, concentrating the fuel mass on the perimeter. The range of injection timings used resulted in air/fuel mixtures which should have had significant differences in the state of the mixture at the time of combustion.
CitationCasarella, M., Syvertsen, M., Martin, J., Hoffman, J. et al., "Spray Combustion and Emissions in a Direct-Injection Two Stroke Engine With Wall-Stabilization of an Air-Assisted Spray," SAE Technical Paper 970360, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970360.
- Syvertsen, M.L. Martin J.K. Hoffman J.A. Coates, S.W. McGinnity, F.A “Injection and Ignition Effects on Two-Stroke Direct Injection Emissions and Efficiency” SAE Paper No. 961803 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1996
- Schechter, M.M. Levin, M.B. “Air-Forced Fuel Injection System for 2-Stroke D.I. Gasoline Engine” SAE Paper No. 910664 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1991
- Syvertsen, M.L. “Two Stroke Direct Injection Emissions and Efficiency: A Statistical Approach” M.S. Thesis University of Wisconsin-Madison 1996
- Emerson, J. Felton, P.G. Bracco, F.V. “Structure of Sprays from Fuel Injectors Part III: The Ford Air-Assisted Fuel Injector” SAE Paper No. 900478 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1990
- MachInnes, J.M. Bracco, F.V. “Computation of the Spray from an Air-Assisted Fuel Injector” SAE Paper No. 902079 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1990
- Ghandhi, J.B. Felton, P.G. Gajdeczko, B.F. Bracco, F.V. “Investigation of the Fuel Distribution in a Two-Stroke Engine with an Air-Assisted Injector” SAE Paper No. 940394 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1994
- Ghandhi, J.B. Bracco, F.V. “Fuel Distribution Effects on the Combustion of a Direct-Injection Stratified-Charge Engine” SAE Paper No. 950460 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1995
- Hoffman, J.A. Eberhardt, E. Martin, J.K. “Comparison Between Air-Assisted and Single-Fluid Pressure Atomizers for Direct-Injection SI Engines Via Spatial and Temporal Mass Flux Measurements” SAE Paper No. 970630 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1997
- Rohrer, R. Chehroudi, B. “Preliminary Heat Release Analysis in a Single-Cylinder Two-Stroke Production Engine” SAE Paper No. 930431 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1993
- Martin, J.K. Plee, S.L. Remboski, D.J. “Burn Modes and Prior-Cycle Effects on Cyclic Variations in Lean-Burn Spark-Ignition Engine Combustion” SAE Paper No. 880201 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1988
- Society of Automotive Engineers “Test Procedure for the Measurement of Exhaust Emissions for Small Utility Engines SAE J1088 JUN83” SAE Handbook SAE Warrendale, Pa 1985 25.148 25.153
- Myers, J. Myers, M. Myers, P. “On the Computation of Emissions from Exhaust Gas Composition Measurements” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power III 410 1989
- Chamberlain, T.W. Koehler, D.E. Stamper, K.B. Marshall, W.F. “Performance Characteristics of Automotive Engines in the U.S.” (Report No. 2), Energy Research and Development Administration, Bartlesville Energy Research Center report no. BERC/CP-77/47 August 1977
- Morgan, E.J. Lincoln, R.H. “Duty Cycle for Recreational Marine Engines” SAE Paper No. 901596 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1990
- Coates, S.W. Lassanske, G.G. “Measurement and Analysis of Gaseous Exhaust Emissions from Recreational and Small Commercial Marine Craft” SAE Paper No. 901597 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1990
- Matekunas, F.A. “Modes and Measures of Cyclic Combustion Variability” SAE Paper No. 830337 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1983