This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CAN Bit Timing Requirements
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The CAN protocol provides for programming of the bit rate, and the number and location of data samples in a bit period. Optimization of these parameters guarantees message synchronization and proper error detection at the extremes of oscillator tolerance and propagation delay. Modifications to the CAN protocol have redefined the limiting conditions for proper synchronization and error detection. These conditions have been analyzed and a comprehensive set of equations describing the resulting bit timing requirements has been developed. A step by step method for calculating optimum CAN bit timing parameters for a given set of system constraints is presented. This paper was developed in support of the SAE J2284 CAN High Speed Implementation Task Force and the results incorporated into its proposed standard.
|Technical Paper||Simulation of KWP Over a CAN-BUS Network|
|Technical Paper||Impact of Bit Representation on Transport Capacity and Clock Accuracy in Serial Data Streams|
|Technical Paper||Fuel Injection System for Small Motorcycles|
CitationDietmayer, K. and Overberg, K., "CAN Bit Timing Requirements," SAE Technical Paper 970295, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970295.
- CAN Specification Version 2.0, Parts A and B Philips Semiconductors 1992
- ISO 7498 Information Processing Systems - Open Systems Interconnection - Basic Reference Model 1984
- Lupini C. A. Propagation Delay and Oscillator Drift Analysis for CAN Networks SAE Paper 940362 1994
- Buehring, Peter Bit Timing Parameters for CAN Networks Philips Semiconductors Appl. Note KIE 07/91 ME 1991
- Dais, Siegried Chapman, Michael Impact of Bit Representation on Transport Capacity and Clock Accuracy in Serial Data Streams SAE Paper 890532
- Eisele, H. Johnk, E. Application Note PCA82C250/25 CAN Transceiver Philips Semiconductors 1996