This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
EV Battery Life Extension in Field Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Results of the Charger Test Project conducted by Arizona Public Service (APS) indicated the importance of the charger/charge algorithm/battery interface with respect to battery capacity. It also indicated that EVs rapidly charged demonstrated longer cycle life in field testing without reduction in capacity. Additional testing conducted by APS has shown that cycle life of the batteries is strongly related to the charging scheme utilized. Application of results of laboratory charging to the charge scheme utilized in this testing has been hampered by extremely long test periods in field tests designed to cycle batteries to the end of life. Development of a predictive method of cycle life extrapolation based upon microscopic analysis promises to reduce the time required for battery cycle life testing.
|Technical Paper||EV Battery Pack Life: Pack Degradation and Solutions|
|Technical Paper||Research on Large Capacity, High Power Lithium-ion Batteries|
CitationHobbs, R., Fleming, F., and Karner, D., "EV Battery Life Extension in Field Testing," SAE Technical Paper 970243, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970243.
- Hobbs R.S. “Electric Vehicle Charger Test Project at Arizona Public Service - Final Report” March 1996
- Valeriote E.M. Nor J.K. Ettel V.A. Proceedings of the 5th International Lead/Acid Battery Seminar International Lead Zinc Research Organization, Inc. Research Triangle Park, NC 1991 93
- Valeriote E.M. Jochim D.M. Journal of Power Sources 40 1992 93
- Chang T.G. Valeriote E.M. Jochim D.M. Proc. 26th International Symposium on Automotive Technology Aachen, Germany September 13-17 1993 405 413
- Chang T.G. Valeriote E.M. Jochim D.M. Journal of Power Sources 48 1994 163
- Valeriote E.M. Chang T.G. Jochim D.M. “Fast Charging of Lead Acid Batteries” 9th Annual Battery Conference on Applications and Advances California State University Long Beach January 11 1994
- Valeriote E.M. “Rapid Charging of Electric Vehicle Batteries” 2nd Annual Conference of the Advanced Lead Acid Battery Consortium Sacramento, California February 1996
- Chang T.G. Jochim D.M. Journal of Power Sources Rapid Partial Charging of Lead Acid Batteries 1996
- Chang T.G. Jochim D.M. Proceedings of the 5th European Lead Battery Conference 1996
- Hollenkamp A.F. et. al. ALABC Project No. AMC009 Advanced Lead-Acid Batteries For Electric Vehicles:Strategies for Raising Positive Plate Performance June 1996
- Winsel Voss E. Hullmeine U. Journal of Power Sources The Aggregate of Spheres (“Kugelhaufen”) Model of the PbO 2 /PbSO 4 Electrode 30 1990 209 226
- Nor J. K. Pavlovic V. “Ultra Rapid Battery Charging: Charge Time, Efficiency, and Battery Life Considerations” EVS 13 Oshsha Japan 1996
- Nor J.K. “Improvement of EV Battery Performance Resulting from Ultra Rapid Charging” Zero Emission Vehicles BRNO 96 Conference Brno Czech Republic June 1996