This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation and Modeling of an A/C Rotary Vane Compressor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A simulation model and code suitable for rotary vane compressor are developed. The simulation features are the compression algorithm that makes extensive use of entropy tracking and the real R134a properties in the form of look-up table rather than a polytropic equation. Compression process is modeled as an isentropic process with mass flow into and out of the compression chamber due to leaks between compression chambers and flow through the valves. It was found, during the course of algorithm development, that valve back flow has a significant influence. The simulation output including torque, torque variance, heat capacity, coefficient of performance compare quite favorably with experimental measurements. To demonstrate how the simulation may provide useful insight for design and parts optimization, two simulation examples, one dealing with the effect of varying aspect ratio and the other with cylinder profile characteristics, are presented.
CitationTakeshita, S., "Simulation and Modeling of an A/C Rotary Vane Compressor," SAE Technical Paper 970116, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970116.
- Muta, S. Rotary Vane Compressor Simulation Zexel Internal Technical Report 54-CPV-90
- Fukuta, M. Yanagisawa, Y. Shimizu, T. Suzuki, Y. Mathematical Model of Vane Compressors for Computer Simulation of Automotive Air Conditioning Cycle JSME Int'l J. 38 2 199
- Soedel, W. Mechanics, Simulation, and Design of Compressor Valves Gas passages and Pulsation Muffleres 1992
- Makita, K chief ed. et. al. Japan Ass'n of Refrig Japan Freon Gas Ass'n Thermophysical Properties of Environmentally Acceptable Fluorocarbons 1990
- Ishii, N. Bird, K. Sano, K. Oono, M. Iwamura, S. Otokura, T. Refrigerant Leakage Flow Evaluation for Scroll Compressors 1996 Int'l Compressor Compressor Engineering Conference Purdue
- Soedel, W. Design and Mechanics of Compressor Valves 1984