This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Steering-Housing Rubber Bushings on the Handling Responses of a Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 24, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An investigation of the effect of rack-housing rubber bushings on the handling characteristics of a vehicle is presented using a sophisticated three-dimensional vehicle model based on multibody dynamic analysis method. Previous research on this problem has been limited to a transfer function model for a simplified one- or two-dimensional steering subsystem. This paper uses a multibody modeling approach to find the effects of the steering-system compliance on the complete vehicle system. Sample simulations for circular cornering and pulse steering show that the steering-system compliance is the source of the frequency peak in the yaw rate to hand-wheel angle response function.
CitationPark, J. and Nikravesh, P., "Effect of Steering-Housing Rubber Bushings on the Handling Responses of a Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 970103, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/970103.
- Slibar, A. and Paslay, P. R., “Behavior of Vehicles Subjected to Wind Gusts,” Ingenieur Archiv, Vol. 28, 1959.
- Fiala, E., “Zur Fahrdynamik des Strassenfahrzeuges unter Berucksicktingung der Lenkungselastizitat,” Automobiltechnische Zeitschrift, Vol. 62, No. 3, pp. 71, March 1960.
- Bohm, F., “Uber die Fahrtrichtungsstabilitat und die Seitenwindempfindlichkeit des Kraftwagens bei Geradeaus-Fahrt,” Automobiltechnische Zeitschrift, Vol. 63, No. 5 and 10, pp. 128, 339, March 1961.
- Campbell, C., Automobile Suspensions, Chapman and Hall, London, 1981.
- Lanchester, F. W. Dr., “Automobile Steering Gear Problems and Mechanisms,” Proc. Inst. Auto. Engrs., Vol. XXII (1927-28).
- Bastow, D., “Steering Problems and Layout,” Proc. Inst. Auto. Engrs., Vol. XXXII (1937-38).
- Bastow, D. and Howard, G. P., Car Suspension and Handling, 3rd edition, Pentech Press, London, 1993.
- Segel, L., “On the Lateral Stability and Control of the Automobile as Influenced by the Dynamics of the Steering System,” ASME Paper 65-WA/MD-2, 1965.
- Mabrouka, H., Chen, H. F., Maalej, A. Y., and Guenther, D. A., “Effect of Lateral Tire Flexibility on the Steering System Dynamic Behavior,” SAE Paper 910239, 1991.
- Gillespie, T. D., “Front Brake Interactions with Heavy Vehicle Steering and Handling during Braking,” SAE Paper 760025, 1976.
- Gillespie, T. D., Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics, Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, 1992.
- MacAdam. C. C., et al., “A Computerized Model for Simulating the Braking and Steering Dynamics of Trucks, Tractor-Semitrailers, Doubles, and Triples Combinations-User's Manual, Phase 4,” Highway Safety Research Institute, University of Michigan, Report No. UM-HSRI-80-58, September 1980.
- Ellis, J. R., Road Vehicle Dynamics, John R. Ellis Inc., Arkon, 1988.
- Vedamuthu, S., and Law, E. H., “An Investigation of the Pulse Steer Method for Determining Automobile Handling Qualities,” SAE Paper 930829, 1993.
- Heydinger, G. J, Grygier, P. A., and Lee S., “Pulse Steering Techniques Applied to Vehicle Handling Dynamics,” SAE paper 930828, 1993.
- Kim, S. S., and Vanderploeg, M. J,. “A General and Efficient Method for Dynamic Analysis of Mechanical Systems Using Velocity Transformations,” ASME J. Mech., Trans., and Auto. in Design, Vol. 108, No. 2, June, pp. 176-182, 1986.
- Nikravesh, P. E., Computer-Aided Analysis of Mechanical Systems, Prentice Hall, 1988.
- Nikravesh, P. E., and Gwanghun Gim, “Systematic Construction of the Equations of Motion for Multibody Systems Containing Closed Kinematic Loops,” Paper No. 89-DAC-58, ASME Design Automation Conference, Montreal, Canada, September 17-20, 1988.
- Park, J., and Nikravesh, P. E., “A Look-Ahead Driver Model for Autonomous Cruising on Highways,” SAE Paper 961686 (also available in SP-1190), Future Transportation Technology Conference, Vancouver, Canada, August 5-8, 1996.
- Bakker, E., Nyborg, L., and Pacjeka, H. B., “Tyre Modeling for Use in Vehicle Dynamics Studies,” SAE paper, No. 870421, 1987.
- Park, J., and Nikravesh, P. E., “A Multibody Approach to Modeling Tire Longitudinal/Lateral Flexibility,” in progress, to appear in the 1997 SAE International Congress and Exposition, February 1997.