This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Biomechanical Response and Physical Properties of the Leg, Foot, and Ankle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The anatomical dimensions, inertial properties, and mechanical responses of cadaver leg, foot, and ankle specimens were evaluated relative to those of human volunteers and current anthropometric test devices. Dummy designs tested included the Hybrid III, Hybrid III with soft joint stops, ALEX I, and the GM/FTSS lower limbs. Static and dynamic tests of the leg, foot, and ankle were conducted at the laboratories of the Renault Biomedical Research Department and the University of Virginia. The inertial and geometric properties of the dummy lower limbs were measured and compared with cadaver properties and published volunteer values. Compression tests of the leg were performed using static and dynamic loading to determine compliance of the foot and ankle. Quasi-static rotational properties for dorsiflexion and inversion/eversion motion were obtained for the dummy, cadaver, and volunteer joints of the hindfoot. Dynamic and impact tests were conducted with dummy and cadaver limbs to determine dynamic moment-angle response curves for the hindfoot joints. The testing indicates that passive and active musculature of the leg strongly influences response of the leg, foot, and ankle and suggests that future dummy designs should incorporate these effects. Synthesis of the volunteer and cadaver test results provides physical properties and response corridors of the foot, leg, and ankle for use in mathematical and mechanical models.
- Laurent Portier - Association pour I'Aide aux Recherches Intèressant la Santè au Travail et I'Environnement
- Philippe Petit - Association pour I'Aide aux Recherches Intèressant la Santè au Travail et I'Environnement
- Xavier Trosseille - Renault Biomedical Research Dept.
- Claude Tarrière - Renault Biomedical Research Dept.
- Gregory W. Hall - University of Virginia
- Cameron R. Bass - University of Virginia
- Gregory S. Klopp - University of Virginia
- Shepard Hurwitz - University of Virginia
- Walter D. Pilkey - University of Virginia
CitationCrandall, J., Portier, L., Petit, P., Hall, G. et al., "Biomechanical Response and Physical Properties of the Leg, Foot, and Ankle," SAE Technical Paper 962424, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962424.
- Lund, A. Ferguson S. “Driver Fatalities in 1985-1993 Cars with Airbags” J. Trauma 38 4 469 475 1995
- Crandall, J. R. Kuhlmann, T. Martin, P. Pilkey, W. D. “Differing Patterns of Head Injury with Airbag and/or Belt Restrained Drivers in Frontal Collisions” Proc. 38th Annual Conference of the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine Sept 1994
- Crandall, Jeff R. Klisch, Stephen M. Klopp, Gregory S. Sieveka, Edwin M. Pilkey, Walter D. Martin, Peter “Research Program to investigate lower extremity injuries” In-Depth Accident Investigation: trauma team findings in late model vehicle collisions SAE Paper 940711 19 30 International Congress & Exposition Detroit, Michigan 28 February 3 Mars 1994
- Begeman, Paul C. Kopacz, James M. “Biomechanics of human ankle impact in dorsiflexion” Symposium on Injury Prevention through Biomechanics 3 12 1991
- Begeman, Paul C. Balakrishnan, P. King, A.I. “Human ankle response in dorsiflexion” Symposium on Injury Prevention through Biomechanics 9 20 April 1992
- Parham, Kenneth R. Gordon, Claire C. Bensel, Carolyn K. “Anthropometry of the Foot and Lower Leg of U.S. Army Soldiers: Fort Jackson, S.C. -- 1985” Report NATICK/TR-92/028 September 1992
- Diffrient, Neils Tilley, Alvin R. Bardagjy, Joan C. Human Scale 1/2/3 MIT Press Cambridge, MA 1974
- Parenteau, Chantal S. Viano, David C. “A new method to determine the biomechanical properties of human and dummy joints” 183 196 Brunen September 1995
- Petit, Philippe Portier, Laurent Foret-Bruno, Jean-Yves Trosseille, Xavier Parenteau, Chantal Coltat, Jean-Claude Tarriere, Claude Lassau, Jean-Pierre “Quasistatic Characterization of the human Foot-Ankle joints in a Simulated Tensed State and Updated Accidentological Data” Dublin September 1996
- Aharonson, Z. Voloshin, A. Steinbach, T. V. “Normal foot-ground pressure pattern in children” Clin. Orthop 150 220 1980
- Arcan, M. Brull, M.A. Simkin, A. “Mechanical parameters describing the standing posture, based on the foot-ground pressure pattern” Komi, P.V. University Park Press 1975
- Carsloo, S. “The influence of frontal and dorsal loads on muscle activity and on the weight distribution in the feet” Acta Orthop. Scand. 34 299 1964
- NASA Anthropometric Source Book Volume I: Anthropometry for Designers 1978
- McConville, J. T. Churchill, T.D. Kaleps, I. Clauser, C.E. Cuzzi, J. Anthropometric Relationship of Body and Body Segments Moments of Inertia Air Force Aerospace Medial Research Laboratory 1980
- Hirsch, A. E. White, L. A. “Mechanical Stiffness of Man's Lower Limbs” ASME Winter Congress, Transactions of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers 1965
- Kennett, Kelly B. “The Development and Evaluation of an In Situ Tibial Load Cell University of Virginia Masters Thesis 1995
- Portier, Laurent Petit, Philippe Trosseille, Xavier Tarriere, Claude Lavaste, Francois “An Experimental Research Program for Lower Injuries in Frontal Car Crashes” Proc. of the International Conference on Pelvic and Lower Extremity Injuries (PLEI) Washington, D.C. December 5 1995
- Klopp, G. S. Crandall, J. R. Bass, C. R. Pilkey, W. D. “Sensitivity of Ankle Impact Injuries to Initial Foot Orientation” Proc. Intl. Conference on Pelvic and Lower Extremity Injuries Washington, D. C. Dec. 1995
- Parenteau, Chantal S. Viano, David C. Lovsund, Per “Foot-Ankle Injury: Epidemiological and Biomechanical Studies” Proc. of the International Conference on Pelvic and Lower Extremity Injuries (PLEI) Washington, D.C. December 5 1995
- Begeman, P. C. Balakrishnan P. King A.I. “Dynamic human ankle response to inversion and eversion” Symposium on Injury Prevention through Biomechanics 121 132 May 1993
- Kalina, I. Scheunert, D. Scheerer, J. Breitner, R. Zeidler, F. “Injuries of the Lower Leg Significance for the Occupants - Assessment in Tests - Injury Prevention Proc. of the International Conference on Pelvic and Lower Extremity Injuries (PLEI) Washington, D.C. December 5 1995