This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Abdominal Injury and Response in Side Impact
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this paper is to address abdominal injury and response in cadaver whole body side impacts and abdominal injury risk functions in SID and BIOSID in whole body impacts. Side impact sled tests were performed at Wayne State University using cadavers, SID and BIOSID, with response measured at the shoulder, thorax, abdominal and pelvic levels. The data at the abdominal level are presented here. These data provide further understanding of abdominal tolerance and response in lateral impact and the ability of side impact dummies to predict abdominal injury. In addition, the padding data provide insight into tolerable armrest loads.
|Technical Paper||Evaluation of Human Tolerance in Frontal Impacts|
|Technical Paper||Occupant Kinematics and Injury Causation in Side Impacts-Field Accident Experience|
|Technical Paper||Quantification of Side Impact Responses and Injuries|
CitationCavanaugh, J., Walilko, T., Chung, J., and King, A., "Abdominal Injury and Response in Side Impact," SAE Technical Paper 962410, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962410.
- Baker SP, O'Neill B, Haddon W, Long WB: The Injury Severity Score: a method for describing patients with multiple injuries and evaluating emergency care. J Trauma 14:187-196, 1974.
- Bondy N: Abdominal injuries in the national crash severity study. National Center for Statistics and Analysis. ISO. 15.00188, 1980.
- Cavanaugh JM, Walilko T, Malhotra A, Zhu Y, King AI: Biomechanical response and injury tolerance of the pelvis in twelve sled side impacts. SAE Paper No. 902305, 34th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 1-12, 1990a.
- Cavanaugh JM, Walilko T, Malhotra A, Zhu Y, King AI: Biomechanical response and injury tolerance of the thorax in twelve sled side impacts. SAE Paper No. 902307, 34th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 23-38, 1990b.
- Cavanaugh J, Huang Y, King AI: SID response in a side impact sled test series. SAE Paper No. 920350, SAE International Congress and Exposition, 1992.
- Cavanaugh JM, Zhu Y, Huang Y, King AI: Injury and response of the thorax in side impact cadaveric tests. SAE Paper No. 933127, 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 199-221, 1993.
- Cavanaugh JM, Walilko TJ, Walbridge A, Huang Y and King AI: An Evaluation of TTI and ASA in SID side impact sled tests. SAE Paper No. 942225, 38th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 293-308, 1994.
- Eppinger RH, Marcus JH, Morgan RM: Development of dummy and injury index for NHTSA's thoracic side impact protection research program. SAE Paper No. 840885, Government/Industry Meeting and Exposition, Washington, D.C., 1984.
- FMVSS 214, 49 CFR Part 571 (1990) Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 214, Side Impact Protection, Federal Register, Docket No. 88-06, Notice 8, RIN 2127-AB86, Vol. 55(210), Oct. 30, 1990.
- Irwin AL, Walilko TJ, Cavanaugh JM, Zhu Y, and King AI: Deflection responses of the shoulder and thorax in lateral impact. SAE Paper No. 933124, Proc. 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 165-173, 1993.
- Lau IV, Horsch JD, Viano DC and Andrzejak DV: Biomechanics of liver injury by steering wheel loading. J Trauma 27(3):225-235, 1987.
- Marcus JH, Morgan RM, Eppinger RH, Kallieris D, Mattern R, Schmidt G: Human response and injury from lateral impact. SAE Paper No. 831634, 27th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 419-431, 1983.
- Morgan RM, Marcus JH, and Eppinger RH: Side impact - the biofidelity of NHTSA's proposed ATD and efficacy of TTI. SAE Paper No. 861887, 30th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 27-40, 1986.
- Rouhana SW and Kroell CK: The effect of door topography on abdominal injury in lateral impact. SAE Paper No. 892433, 33rd Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 143-151, 1989.
- Rouhana SW, Lau IV and Ridella SA: Influence of velocity and forced compression on the severity of abdominal injury in blunt, nonpenetrating lateral impact. J Trauma 25(6):490-500, 1985.
- Rouhana SW, Ridella SA and Viano DC: The Effect of limiting impact force on abdominal injury: a preliminary study. SAE Paper No. 861879, Thirtieth Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp 65-79, 1986.
- Siegel JH, Mason-Gonzales S, Dischinger P, et al: Safety belt restraints and compartment intrusions in frontal and lateral motor vehicle crashes: mechanisms of injuries, complications, and acute care costs. J Trauma 5(34):736-759, 1993.
- Viano DC, Lau IV, Asbury C, King AI and Begeman P: Biomechanics of the human chest, abdomen and pelvis in lateral impact. Accident Analysis and Prevention 21(6):553-574, 1989.
- Viano DC: Evaluation of armrest loading in side impacts. SAE Paper No. 912899, 35th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 145-162, 1991.
- Warner CY, James MB, Strother CE: A perspective on side impact occupant crash protection. SAE Paper No. 900373, 1990.
- Zhu JY, Cavanaugh JM and King AI: Pelvic biomechanical response and padding benefits in side impact based on a cadaveric test series. SAE Paper No. 933128, 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 223-233, 1993.