This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Simple Model for Cyclic Variations in a Spark-Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We propose a simple, physically oriented model that explains important characteristics of cyclic combustion variations in spark-ignited engines. A key model feature is the interaction between stochastic, small-scale fluctuations in engine parameters and nonlinear deterministic coupling between successive engine cycles. Prior-cycle effects are produced by residual cylinder gas which alters volume-average in-cylinder equivalence ratio and subsequent combustion efficiency. The model's simplicity allows rapid simulation of thousands of engine cycles, permitting in-depth statistical studies of cyclic variation patterns. Additional mechanisms for stochastic and prior-cycle effects can be added to evaluate their impact on overall engine performance. We find good agreement with our experimental data.
CitationDaw, C., Finney, C., Green, J., Kennel, M. et al., "A Simple Model for Cyclic Variations in a Spark-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 962086, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962086.
- Clerk, D. The Gas Engine 1st Longmans, Green & Co. 1886
- Belmont, M.R. Hancock M.S. Buckingham D.J. “Statistical aspects of cyclic variability” SAE Paper No. 860324 1986
- Brehob, D.D. Newman C.E. “Monte Carlo simulation of cycle-by-cycle variability” SAE Paper No. 922165 1992
- Daily, J.W. “Cycle-to-cycle variations: a chaotic process?” Combustion Science and Technology 57 149 162 1988
- Grünefeld, G. Beushausen V. Andresen P. Hentschel W. “A major origin of cyclic energy conversion variations in SI engines: cycle-by-cycle variations of the equivalence ratio and residual gas of the initial charge” SAE Paper No. 941880 1994
- Hamai, K. Kawajiri H. Ishizuka T. Nakai M. “Combustion fluctuation mechanism involving cycle-to-cycle spark-ignition variation due to flow motion in SI engines” 21st International Symposium on Combustion 505 512 1986
- Hill, P.G. Kapil A. “The relationship between cyclic variation in spark-ignition engines and the small structure of turbulence” Combustion and Flame 78 237 247 1989
- Kantor, J.C. “A dynamical instability of spark-ignited engines” Science 224 1233 1235 1984
- Kumar, S. De-Zylva M.D. Watson H.C. “Prediction of cyclically-variable pressure-time history of a SI engine using a quasi-dimensional spherical flame-front model” SAE Paper No. 912454 1991
- Martin, J.K. Plee S.L. Remboski, D.J. Jr. “Burn modes and prior-cycle effects on cyclic variations in lean-burn spark-ignition engine combustion” SAE Paper No. 880201 1988
- Moriyoshi, Y. Kanimoto T. Yagita M. ‘prediction of cycle-to-cycle variation of in-cylinder flow in a motored engine” SAE Paper No. 930066 1993
- Ozdor, N. Dulger M. Sher E. “Cyclic variability in spark-ignition engines: a literature survey” SAE Paper No. 940987 1994
- Glassman, I. Combustion 2nd Academic Press 0-12-285851-4 1987
- Heywood, J.B. I nternal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 0-07-028637-X 1988
- Takens, F. “Detecting strange attractors in turbulence” Lecture Notes in Mathematics 898 366 381 1981
- Moon, F.C. Chaotic and Fractal Dynamics John Wiley and Sons 0-471-54571-6 1992