This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Assessment of Predictivity of CFD Computations of Combustion and Pollutants Formation in D.I. Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the present paper the status of development of diesel combustion and pollutants formation modelling at Diesel Engines and Fuels Research Division of Istituto Motori is pointed out. The main features and performances of the model are discussed comparing the numerical results with some experimental data.
For the experiments a single cylinder direct injection diesel engine was used. In the head of the engine two small quartz windows have been mounted, in order to obtain pictures of the injection and combustion processes by high speed cinematography, and to apply the two colour technique for soot temperature and soot loading measurements. The soot loading was measured by the two colour technique and the a priori and the experimental uncertainties of the measurement technique were carefully evaluated. In addition, the engine may be also equipped with a second head, in which a fast acting valve allows the direct sampling of the combustion products.
To simulate the diesel engine combustion, the Kiva II code, with some improvements, was used. In particular a hybrid model based on both WAVE and TAB models was adopted for jet break up modelling, and a spray wall impaction model was added to the original code.
New combustion and soot models were also set-up. The main features of the models are the following:
The liquid fuel injection vaporisation and dispersion is computed as provided by the Kiva II code routines; the fuel vapour undergoes conversion to acetylene by a single step reaction. The acetylene formed is oxidised at high temperature by a single step stochiometric reaction with mean rate defined as in standard E.B.U. combustion models.
Simultaneously with the acetylene combustion a three-step soot formation and oxidation model performs the soot loading computations for each computational cell jointly with a modified Zel'dovich mechanism for NO computations. The computational results demonstrate that the proposed model, represents the main features of the diesel combustion, despite the strong simplifications introduced. However, further work is required to obtain a satisfactory predictivity of multidimensional models of combustion and exhaust emission.
CitationBeatrice, C., Belardini, P., Bertoli, C., Cameretti, M. et al., "An Assessment of Predictivity of CFD Computations of Combustion and Pollutants Formation in D.I. Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 962055, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962055.
- Nishida, Y. Hiroyasu, H. “Simplified three Dimensional Modelling of Mixture Formation and Combustion in a D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 890269 1989
- Belardini, P. Bertoli, C. Ciajolo, A. D'Anna, A. Del Giacomo, N. “Three Dimensional Calculations of D.I. Diesel Engine Combustion and Comparison with in Cylinder Sampling Valve Data” SAE Paper 922225 1992
- Patterson M.H. Kong S.C. Hampson J.H. Reitz R.D. “Modelling the Effects of Fuel Injection Characteristics on Diesel Engine Soot and NOx Emissions” SAE Paper 940523 1994
- Rutland, C.J. et al. “Progress Toward Diesel Combustion Modelling” SAE Paper 952429 1995
- Han, Z. Uludogan, A. Hampson, G.J. Reitz, R.D. “Mechanism of Soot and NOx Emission Reduction Using Multiple-Injection in a Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 960633 1996
- Nagle J. Strickland-Constable R.F. “Oxidation of Carbon between 1000-2000° C” 5-th Conference on Carbon Pergamon Press 154 164 London 1982
- Zellat, M. Rolland, T.H. F. Poblow, F. “Three Dimensional Modelling of Combustion and Soot Formation in a Indirect Injection Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 900254 1990
- Tessner, P.A. Snegriova, T.D. Knorre, V.G. “Kinetics of Dispersed carbon formation” Comb. and Flame 17 253 260 1971
- Magnussen, B. Hjertager, B. Olsen, J.G. Bhaduri, D. “Effect of Turbulent Flame Structure and local Concentrations on Soot formation and combustion in C2H2 Diffusion flames” 17-th Symposium (International) on Combustion The Combustion Institute 1383 1393 1978
- K.Nagakita, D. Nagaoka, M. Fujikawa, T. K.Ohsawa, T. Yamaguchi, S. “Phographic and Three Dimensional Numerical Studies of Diesel Soot Formation Process” SAE Paper 902081 1981
- Farmer, R. Edelman, R. Wang, E. “Modeling Soot Emissions in Combustion System” Particulate Carbon 299 320 Plenum Press 1981
- Yoshihara, Y. Kazakov, A. H.Wang, A. Frenklach, M “Reduced Mechanism of Soot Formation-Application to Natural Gas Fuelled Diesel Combustion” 25-th Symposium (International) on Combustion The Combustion Institute 941 948 1994
- Frenklach, M. Wang, A. “Detailed Modelling of soot Particle Nucleation and Growth” 23-th Symposium (International) on Combustion The Combustion Institute 1559 1566 1990
- Fusco, A. Knox-Kelecy, A.L. Foster, D.E. “Application of a Phenomenological Soot Model to Diesel Engine Combustion” COMODIA 94 571 576 Japan 1994
- Gorokhovski, M. Borghi, R. “Numerical Simulation of Soot Formation and Oxidation in Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 930075 1993
- Lee, K.O. Thring, M.W. Beér, J.M. “On the Rate of Combustion of Soot in Laminar Soot Flame” Combustion and Flame 6 137 145 1962
- Pitsch, H. Wan, Y.P. Peters, N. “Numerical Investigation of Soot Formation and Oxidation diesel Engine Conditions” SAE Paper 952357 1995
- Leung, K.M. Lindsedt, R.P. Jones, W.P. “A Simplified reaction Mechanism for soot formation in Non-premixed Flames” Combustion and Flames 87 289 305 1991
- Fairweather, M. Jones, W.P. Ledin, H.S. Lindstedt, R.P. “Prediction and Soot Formation in Turbulent Non-premixed Propane Flames” 24-th Symposium (international) on Combustion The Combustion Institute 1067 1074 1992
- Smith, O.I. “Fundamentals of soot formation in Flames with Application to diesel Engine Particulate Emissions” Prog. Energy Comb. Sci. 7 275 291 1981
- Glassman I. “Soot Formation in Combustion Processes” 22-th Symposium (International) on Combustion The Combustion Institute 295 311 1988
- Wagner, H.G.G. Weiss, M. “The Influence of Pressure and Temperature on Soot Formation in Premixed Flames” 22-th Symposium (International) on Combustion The Combustion Institute 259 311 1988
- Belardini, P. Bertoli, C. Del Giacomo, N. Iorio, B. “Soot Formation and Oxidation in a D.I. Diesel Engine: A Comparison between Measurements and three Dimensional Computations” SAE Paper 932650 1993
- Belardini, P. Bertoli, C. Cameretti, M.C. Del Giacomo, N. “Diagnostics and Modelling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines” COMODIA 94 315 323 Japan 1994
- Bertoli, C. Beatrice, C. di Stasio, S. Del Giacomo, N. “In-Cylinder Soot and NOx Concentration Measurements in D.I. Diesel Engine Fed by Fuels of Varying Quality” SAE Paper 960832 1996
- Belardini, P. Bertoli, C. Corcione, F. E Valentino, G. “In Cylinder Flow Measurements by LDA And Numerical Simulation by KIVA II Code” SAE Paper 920155 1992
- Amsden, A.A. O'Rourke, P.J. Butler, T.D. “KIVA-II: A Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays” Los Alamos National Laboratory Report No. LA-11560-MS 1989
- Naber, J.D. Enright, B. Farrel, P. “Fuel Impingement in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 881316 1988
- Amato, U. Belardini, P. Bertoli, C. Del Giacomo, N. “The Joint Use of Multidimensional Modelling and field Experiments in order to design Diesel Combustion Systems” IMEchE C 430 445 London 1991
- O'Rourke, P.J. Amsden, A.A “The Tab Method for Numerical Calculation of Spray Droplet Break-up” SAEpaper 8872089 1987
- Reitz, R.D. “Modelling Atomisation Processes in High-Pressure Vaporising Sprays” Atomisation and Sprays Tech. 3 309 337 1987
Han, Z. Reitz, R.D. “Turbulence Modelling of Internal Combustion Engines
- Hardenberg, H.O Hase, F.W. “An Empirical Formula for Computing Pressure Rise Delay of a Fuel from its Cetane Number and from Relevant Parameters of D.I. Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 790493 1979
- Bowman, C.T. “Kinetics of Pollutant Formation and Descruction in Combustion” Prog. Energy Combust. Sci. 1 33 45 1975
- Liu, A.B. Mather, D. Reitz, R.D. “Effect of Drop Drag and Break-up on Fuel Sprays” SAE Paper 930072 1993
- Beatrice, C. Belardini, P. Bertoli, C. Cameretti, M.C. “Fuel Jet Models for Multidimensional Diesel Combustion Calculation: An Update” SAE Paper 950086 1995