This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Automotive Diesel Injection-System Dynamics Under Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Cycle-resolved numerical and experimental analyses were carried out to study the dynamics of an automotive diesel injection system with a distributor-type pump during transient control phases. The investigation had the following main objectives: to assess a flexible and efficient simulation program of high-pressure fuel-injection systems in unsteady operating conditions; to examine the system response to rapid load or speed variations, regardless of the control device which may cause them. The program, based on a fast implicit numerical algorithm with second-order accuracy, was an extension of the computational code NAIS which had been previously developed and validated for stationary operating conditions. The experiments were made on a test bench usually used by industry to evaluate diesel injection equipment.
A nonlinear system numerical model with two degrees of freedom, developed for the pump speed-governor, was set up and included in a library containing a variety of system component models so as to give a modular structure to the NAIS code. Comparison between computed and measured static characteristics of the governor was made in order to assess the model of this system component.
Experimental tests were carried out by rapidly moving the pump control lever from its idle position to the full-load position at two constant pump speeds, in the low and high-speed range, respectively. During these transient operations pressure time-histories were gauged and simulated cycle-by-cycle in the pumping chamber and at the distribution-pipe ends. In-cycle fuel-injected quantities were also measured and computed. Results were compared and discussed.
The dynamic system behavior under assigned transient load or speed phases was then theoretically analyzed by computing local-pressure, needle-lift and injection-rate time histories. Besides, experimental steady-state distributions of the injection rate and injection pressure, that is the pressure in the sac chamber, were compared to the simulation results during an acceleration phase at full load.
|Technical Paper||Optimization of High Pressure Common Rail Electro-injector Using Genetic Algorithms|
|Technical Paper||Analysis on Common-Rail Injector Using Bond Graph Simulation Program|
CitationCatania, A., Dongiovanni, C., Mittica, A., Negri, C. et al., "Study of Automotive Diesel Injection-System Dynamics Under Control," SAE Technical Paper 962020, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962020.
SAE 1996 Transactions - Journal of Engines
Number: V105-3; Published: 1997-09-15
Number: V105-3; Published: 1997-09-15
- Itoh, S. Sasaki, S. Arai, K. “Advanced In-Line Pump for Medium-Duty Diesel Engines to Meet Future Emission Regulations,” SAE Paper No. 910182 1991
- Glassey, S.F. Stockner, A.R. Flinn, M.A. “HEUI - A New Direction for Diesel Engine Fuel Systems,” SAE Paper No. 930270 1993
- Fischer, W. Fuchs, W. Laufer, H. Reuter, U. “Solenoid-Valve Controlled Diesel Distributor Injection Pump,” SAE Paper No. 930327 1993
- Tschöke, H.E. Walz, L. “Bosch Diesel Distributor Injection Pump Systems - Modular Concept and Further Development,” Proceedings, XXV FISITA Congress International Academic Publishers Beijing 1 138 143 Paper No. 945015 1994
- Stumpp, G. Ricco, M. “Common Rail - An Attractive Fuel Injection System for Passenger Car DI Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper No. 960870 1996
- Catania, A. E. Dongiovanni, C. Mittica, A. “Implicit Numerical Model of a High-Pressure Injection System,” ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 114 534 543 1992
- Itoh, S. Ishii, Y. Sakai, H. Kamata, M. “Simulation Analysis on Dynamic Characteristics of Diesel Fuel Injection Systems,” SAE Paper No. 851586 1985
- Catania, A. E. Dongiovanni, C. Mittica, A. Badami M. Lovisolo, F. “Numerical Analysis Versus Experimental Investigation of a Distributor-Type Diesel Fuel-Injection System,” ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 116 814 830 1994
- Catania, A. E. Dongiovanni, C. Mittica, A. “On the Numerical Simulation of High-Pressure Injection Systems” ATA Automotive Engineering 46 338 354 1993
- Catania, A. E. Dongiovanni, C. Mittica, A. Spessa, E. “Transient Flow and Cavitation Simulation in an Automotive Diesel Injection System Using a Novel Second - Order Accurate Implicit Finite - Difference Scheme,” ASME Internal Combustion Engine Symposium, XVII ETCE New Orleans, LA 1994
- Catania, A. E. Dongiovanni, C. Mittica, A. Spessa, E. Lovisolo, F. “Study of Unsteady Flow Phenomena in an Automotive Diesel Injection System,” Proceedings, XXV FISITA Congress International Academic Publishers Beijing 1 124 137 Paper No. 945014 1994
- Catania, A. E. Dongiovanni, C. Spessa, E. “Delivery-Valve Effects on the Performance of an Automotive Diesel Fuel-Injection System,” ASME ICED 1995 Fall Technical Conference Milwaukee, WI 1995
- Catania, A. E. Dongiovanni, C. Negri, C. Spessa, E. “Models for Automotive High-Pressure Injection System Simulation under Stationary and Transient Operating Conditions” Proceedings, 50th ATI Congress SGEditoriali Padova 2 1301 1313 1995
- Catania, A. E. Dongiovanni, C. Mittica, A. Negri, C. Spessa, E. “Simulation and Experimental Analysis of Diesel Fuel-Injection Systems with a Double-Stage Injector,” ASME ICED 1996 Fall Technical Conference Fairborn, OH 1996
- Dongiovanni, C. “Influence of Oil Thermodynamic Properties on the Simulation of a High-Pressure Injection System by Means of a Refined Second-Order Accurate Implicit Numerical Algorithm,” Report PT DE 424/MA 1996
- Catania, A. E. Dongiovanni, C. Mittica, A. Negri, C. Spessa, E. “On the Experimental Evaluation of Nozzle-Hole Unsteady Flow Coefficient for High-Pressure Injection Systems” Proceedings, 51st ATI Congress SGEditoriali Padova 2 1521 1538 1996
- Catania, A. E. Dongiovanni, C. Mittica, A. Negri, C. Spessa, E. “Speed Governor Numerical Model and Part-Load Analysis of a Diesel Distributor Injection Pump under Control,” XXVI FISITA Congress Praha Paper No. P16.04 1996 ATA Automotive Engineering
- Okajima, M. Kato, M. Kano, H. Tojo, S. Katagiri, M. “Contribution of Optimum Nozzle Design to Injection Rate Control,” SAE Paper No. 910185 1991
- Date, K. Manabe, M. Kano, H. Kato, M. Oya, T. “Contribution of Fuel Flow Improvement in Nozzle to Spray Formation,” SAE Paper No. 920622 1992
- Bosch R. GmbH “Distributor-Type Fuel-Injection Pump Type VE - Technical Description D 5/2,” Bosch Automotive Equipment Division K5 1981
- Bower, G.R. Foster, D.E. “A Comparison of the Bosch and Zeuch Rate of Injection Meters,” SAE Paper No. 910724 1991
- Takamura, A. Ohta, T. Fukushima, S. Kamimoto, T. “A Study on Precise Measurement of Diesel Fuel Injection Rate,” SAE Paper No. 920630 1992