This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Injector Nozzle Hole Size and Number on Spray Characteristics and the Performance of a Heavy Duty D.I. Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An engine emissions and performance study was conducted in conjunction with a series of experiments using a constant volume cold spray chamber. The purpose of the study was to explore the effects of number of holes and hole size on the emissions and performance of a direct injection heavy duty diesel engine. The spray experiments provide insight into the spray parameters and their role in the engine's combustion processes.
The fuel system used for both the engine and spray chamber experiments was an electronically controlled, common rail injector. The injector nozzle hole size and number combinations used in the experiments included 225X8 (225 gm diameter holes with 8 holes in the nozzle), 260X6, 260X8, and 30OX6.
The engine tests were conducted on an instrumented single cylinder version of the Caterpillar 3400 series heavy duty diesel engine. Data were taken with the engine running at 1600 RPM, 75% load. Engine emissions and performance results include oxide of nitrogen emissions (NOx), particulate emissions, and brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC). NOx versus particulate trade-off curves were generated over a range of injection timings for each nozzle.
The pressurized spray chamber was used in the room temperature spray visualization experiments. Results of the image analysis that give spray tip penetration length, spray cone angle, and droplet size are presented.
To better understand the nozzle geometry effects, computer modeling of the engine was done. The KIVA-II code was used to model the combustion with the different injector nozzle geometries. The results of the modeling effort emphasize the importance of the details of the spray on diesel engine emissions.
CitationMontgomery, D., Chan, M., Chang, C., Farrell, P. et al., "Effect of Injector Nozzle Hole Size and Number on Spray Characteristics and the Performance of a Heavy Duty D.I. Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 962002, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/962002.
- Shimada T. Shoji T Takeda Y “The Effect of Fuel Injection Pressure on Diesel Engine Performance” SAE Paper 891919 1989
- Shundoh S. Kakegawa T. Tsujimurwa K. “The Effect of Injection Parameters and Swirl on Diesel Combustion with High Pressure Fuel Injection” SAE Paper 910489 1991
- Nehmer D.A. Reitz R.D. “Measurement of the Effect of Injection Rate and Split Injections on Diesel Engine Soot and NOx Emissions” SAE Paper 940668 1994
- Tow T.C. Pierpont D.A. Reitz R.D. “Reducing Particulate and NOx Emissions by Using Multiple Injections in a Heavy Duty D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 940897 1994
- Pierpont D.A. Montgomery D.T. Reitz R.D. “Reducing Particulate and NOx Using Multiple Injections and EGR in a D.I. Diesel” SAE Paper 950217 1995
- Montgomery D.T. Reitz R.D. “Six-Mode Cycle Evaluation of the Effect of EGR and Multiple Injections on Particulate and NOx Emissions from a D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 960316 1996
- Han Z. Uludogan A. Hampson G. Reitz R. “Mechanism of Soot and NOx Emission Reduction Using Multiple-Injection in a Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 60633 1996
- Borman G.L. Ragland K.W. “Combustion Engineering” McGraw-Hill
- Miyaki M. Fujisawa H. Masuda A. Yamoamoto Y. “Development of New Electronically Controlled Fuel Injection System ECD-U2 For Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 910252 1991
- Patterson M.A. Kong S.C. Hampson G.J. Reitz R.D. “Modeling the Effects of Fuel Injection Characteristics on Diesel Engine Soot and NOx Emissions” SAE Paper 940523 1994
- Krieger R.B. Borman G.L. “The Computation of Apparent Heat Release for Internal Combustion Engines” ASME Paper 99-WA/DGP-4 1966
- Tree D.R. “A Study on the Effects of Aromatics on Exhaust Particulates and Soot in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine” University of Wisconsin-Madison 1992
- Woschni G. “A Universally Applicable Equation for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coeffient in the Internal Combustion Engine” SAE Paper 670937 1967
- “Measurement of Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide, and Oxides of Nitrogen in Diesel Exhaust” SAE J177 1982
- Su T.F. Farrell P.V. Nagarajan R.T. “Nozzle Effect on High Pressure Diesel Injection,” SAE Paper 950083 1995
- Gumprecht R.O. Sliepcevich C.M. “Scattering of Light by Large Spherical Particles,” J. Phys. Chem. 57 90 1953
- Kamimoto T. Yokota H. Kobayashi H. “A New Technique for the Measurement of Sauter Mean Diameter in Droplets of Unsteady Dense Sprays,” SAE Paper 890316 1989
- El-Beshbeeshy, M.S. Hodges J.T. Corradini, M.L. “Image Analysis of Diesel Sprays” SAE Paper 921628 1992
- Han Z Reitz R.D. “Turbulence Modeling of Internal Combustion Engines Using ENG k-ε Models” Comb. Sci. Tech. 106 4-6 267 1995
- Han Z Reitz R.D. “A Temperature Wall Function Formulation for Variable-Density Turbulence Flows with Application to Engine Convective Heat Transfer Modeling” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 1996
- Reitz R.D. “Modeling Atomization Processes in High-Pressure Vaporizing Sprays” Atomization and Spray Technology 3 309 1987
- Liu A.B. Mather D. Reitz R.D. “Modeling the Effects of Drop Drag and Breakup on Fuel Sprays” SAE Paper 930072 1993
- Kong S.-C. Reitz R.D. “Multidimensional Modeling of Diesel Ignition and Combustion Using a Multistep Kinetics Model” ASME Transactions, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 115 4 781 789 1993
- Kong S.-C. Han Z. Reitz R.D. “The Development and Application of a Diesel Ignition and Combustion Model for Multidimensional Engine Simulations” SAE Paper 950278 1995
- Theobald M.A. Cheng W.K. “A Numerical Study of Diesel Ignition” ASME Energy-Source Technology Conference and Exhibition Dallas, Texas February 1987
- Pierpont D.A. Reitz R.D. “Effects of Injection Pressure and Nozzle Geometry on D.I. Diesel Emissions and Performance” SAE Technical Paper 950604 1995
- Su T.F. Patterson M.A. Reitz R.D. Farrell P.V. “Experimental and Numerical Studies of High Pressure Multiple Injection Sprays” SAE Technical Paper 960861 1996