This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mutagenic Activity of the Soluble Organic Fraction of Exhaust Gas Particulate from a Direct Injection Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The main purpose of this study was to investigate the influence of diesel engine conditions on the mutagenic activity of the exhaust. Special emphasis was put on investigation of the influence of nitrogen oxides content. Experiments with a diesel engine have been carried out in the laboratory and the emissions of carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2), nitrogen oxides (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) have been measured at different engine conditions. The particulate matter was extracted in order to obtain the soluble organic fraction (SOF), and this fraction was analyzed for mutagenic activity in the Salmonella/microsome assay (AMES test). It was found that the mutagenic activity evidently depended on the PAH content (PAH = Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons) of the exhaust gas rather than the NOx content. However, the percentage of the direct mutagenic activity of the total mutagenic activity increased as the NOx content in the exhaust gas increased. This is probably an indication of increased levels of nitro-PAH.
CitationChristensen, R., Hansen, M., Schramm, J., Binderup, M. et al., "Mutagenic Activity of the Soluble Organic Fraction of Exhaust Gas Particulate from a Direct Injection Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 961977, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/961977.
SAE 1996 Transactions - Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V105-4 ; Published: 1997-09-15
Number: V105-4 ; Published: 1997-09-15
- Abbass, M.K. et. al. “The Survivability of Diesel Fuel Components in the Organic Fraction of Particulate Emissions from an IDI Diesel”. SAE Paper no. 910487. 1991.
- Abbass, M.K. et. al. “Diesel Particulate Emissions: Pyrosynthesis of PAH from Hexadecane”. SAE International Congress & Exposition 1988, Detroit MI, SAE paper no. 880345, 1988.
- Schramm, J. et. al. “The Emission of PAH from a DI Diesel Engine Operating on Fuels and Lubricants with Known PAH Content”. SAE International Congress & Exposition 1994, Detroit MI, SAE paper no. 940342, 1994.
- Abbass, M.K. et. al. “The Aging of Lubricating Oil, The Influence of Unburnt Fuel and Particulate SOF Contamination”. SAE paper no. 872085.
- Williams, P.T. et. al. “The Influence of PAH Contamination of Lubricating Oil on Diesel Particulate PAH Emissions” SAE paper no. 890825.
- Williams. P.T. et. al. “Diesel Fuel Dilution and Particulate Absorption Contamination in Used Lubricating Oil”. SAE paper no. 892080.
- Nielsen. T. et. al. “Traffic PAH and Other Mutagens in Air in Denmark”. Environmental Project no. 285, Danish Environmental Protection Agency 1995.
- Bagley, S.T. et. al. “Characterization of Particle-and Vapor-Phase Organic Fraction Emissions from a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Equipped with a Particle Trap and Regeneration Controls”. Research Report No. 56, Health Effects Institute, July 1993.
- Hart RW, Fu PP, Turturro A (1988) Nitro-polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon: structural features, genotoxicity and risk evaluation. In Polizer P, Martin FJJr. (Eds) Bioactive molecules. Vol 5. Chemical carcinogens. Activation mechanisms, structural and electronic factors, and reactivity, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 264-290.
- Woo YT, Acros JC and Lai DY (1988) Metabolic and chemical activation of carcinogens: an overview. In Polizer P, Martin FJ Jr. (Eds) Bioactive molecules. Vol 5. Chemical carcinogens. Activation mechanisms, structural and electronic factors, and reactivity, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1-31.
- Bagley, S.T. et. al. “An Investigation into the Effect of a Ceramic Particle Trap on the Chemical Mutagens in Diesel Exhaust”. Research Report No. 5, Health Effects Institute, Cambridge, MA, 1987.
- Ames BN, McCann J, Yamasaki E. Methods for detecting carcinogens and mutagens with the Salmonella / mammalian - microsome mutagenicity test. Microbiol Rev 1975; 31:347-364.
- Maron DM, Ames BN. Revised methods for the Salmonella mutagenicity test. Microbiol Rev 1983; 113:173-215.
- Unpublished data from the same engine as used in reference , 1993.