This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flow Analysis for a Chamber Type Intake Manifold Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A flow model is developed by a finite difference method to analyze the flow in the chamber type intake manifold. The model is based on one dimensional compressible unsteady flow. To obtain stable and accurate solutions, the appropriate boundary conditions for the intake chamber, intake ports and cylinder are formulated.
In order to verify the simulation results for the flow model, the calculated results are compared with the experimental measurements. By analyzing pressure waves in the intake system, the optimum intake chamber volume, intake pipe length, at various engine speeds are presented. Finally, the optimum valve timings at different engine operating conditions are sought by this model.
CitationSung, N. and Song, J., "Flow Analysis for a Chamber Type Intake Manifold Engine," SAE Technical Paper 961824, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/961824.
- Heywood John. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1988
- Stone C. R. “Review of Induction System Design and a Comparison between Prediction and Results from a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine” SAE Paper No. 921727 1992
- Hwang I. Y. “The Optimization of Intake and Exhaust System for DOHC Gasoline Engine” Report KIA Motors Korea 1991
- Kastner L. J. “Induction Ramming Effects in Single-Cylinder Four-Stroke Engines” Proc I Mech E 153 206 214 1945
- Watson N. “Resonant Intake and Variable Geometry Turbo charging Systems for a V8 Diesel Engine” Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. 1982
- Engelman H. W. “Design of a Tuned Manifold” ASME Diesel and Gas Power Conference Proceedings Houston, Texas 1974
- Ohata A. Ishida Y. “Dynamic Inlet Pressure and Volumetric Efficiency of Four Cycle Four Cylinder Engine” SAE Paper No. 820407 1982
- Shapiro A. H. The Dynamics and Thermodynamics of Compressible Fluid Flow Ronald Press 1 2 1954
- Benson R. S. The Thermodynamics and GasDynamics of Internal Combustion Engines Clarendon Press 1 Oxford 1982
- Lax P. D. “Weak Solutions of Nonlinear Hyperbolic Equation and Their Numerical Computation” Communication on Pure and Applied Mathematics 7 159 193 1954
- Lax P. D. Wendroff B. “Systems of Conservation Laws” Le Communs Pure Applied Mathematics 13 217 237 1960
- Richtmyer R. D. Morton K. W. Difference Methods for intial Value Problems Wiley Interscience 1967
- Takizawa M. Uno T. Oue T. Yura T. “A Study of Gas Exchange Process Simulation of an Automotive Multi-Cylinder Internal Combustion Engine” SAE Paper No. 820410 1982
- Sung N. W. Choi J. S. Jeong Y. “A Study on the flow in the Engine Intake System” SAE Paper No. 952067 1995
- Sung N. W. Song J. W. Jeong Y. Kim C. S. “Flow Modeling for the Branched Intake Manifold Engine” SAE Paper No. 960079 1996