This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Direct Injection in Two-Stroke Spark-Ignition Engines: Some Proposals and Researches
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Several researches are on line dealing with the so called ‘new generation two-stroke engine’. In almost all of these the charge control by means of fuel injection has been proposed to overcome the well known fuel and lube oil consumption and the likely unacceptable pollutant emissions.
Direct injection in particular seems the method which guarantee the best results in avoiding the short circuiting of the fuel to the exhaust.
This paper summarises the experimental research carried on in the Ancona University both on high pressure mechanical and low pressure electronic direct injection systems and overlights their relative benefits and problems. Furthermore a new system using the “water hammer” phenomenon is proposed as a mean of achieving rather high injection pressures maintaining the simple manufacturing and low cost proper characteristics of two-stroke engines.
CitationBartolini, C., Caresana, F., and Vincenzi, G., "Direct Injection in Two-Stroke Spark-Ignition Engines: Some Proposals and Researches," SAE Technical Paper 961710, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/961710.
- Duret Pierre A New Generation of Two-Stroke engines for the Future Duret Pierre International Seminar November 29-30 1993 Rueil-Malmaison, France 1993 Editions Technip
- Amman C.A. The Automotive Engine - A Future Perspective SAE Paper n.890166 1989
- Caputo C. What Novelties can be applied to Small I.C. Engines? 3rd Small Engine Technology Conference Pisa Dicembre 1993 1993
- Heywood G.B. Future Engine Technology: Lessons from the 1980s for the 1990s J ournal for Gas Turbine and Power 113 319 330 1991
- Kenny R.G. Development in Two Stroke Cycle Engine Exaust Emissions Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. Vol. 206 1992 93 106 1992
- Douglas R. Blair G.P. Fuel injection of a Two Stroke Cycle Spark-Ignition Engine S AE Paper n. 820952 1982
- Duret P. Ecomard A. Audinet M. A New Two Stroke Engine with Compressed Air Assisted Fuel Injection for High Efficiency Low Emissions Applications SAE Paper n. 880176 1988
- Duret P. Moreau J.F. Reduction of Pollutant Emissions of the IAPAC Two Stroke Engine with Compressed Air Assisted Fuel Injection SAE Paper n. 900801 1990
- Kuo T.W. Reitz R.D. Three-Dimensional Computation of Combustion in Premixed-Charge an Direct-injected Two Stroke Engine SAE Paper n. 920425 1992
- Monnier G. Duret P. IAPAC Compressed Air Assisted Fuel Injection for High Efficiency Low Emissions Marine Outboard Two Stroke Engines SAE Paper n. 191849 1991
- Nuti M. Direct Fuel Injection: an Opportunity for Two Stroke Spark Ignition Engines in Road Vehicle Use SAE Paper n. 860170 1986
- Plohberger D. Landfaherer K. Mikulic L. Development of Fuel injected Two Stroke Gasoline Engines SAE Paper n. 880170 1988
- Sato T. Nakayama M. Gasoline Direct Injection for a Loop-Scavenged Two Stroke Cycle Engine SAE Paper n. 871690 1987
- Schechter N.M. Levin M.B. Air-Forced Fuel Injection System for 2-Stroke D.I. Gasoline Engine SAE Paper n. 910664 1991
- Schlunke K. Der Orbital Verbrennung Prozess des Zweitakmotors 10th International Motor Symposium Vien April 1989 63 78 1989
- Vieilledent E. Low Pressure Electronic Fuel Injection System for Two-Stroke Engines SAE Paper n. 780767 1978
- Yamagishy G. Sato T. lwasa H. A Study of Two Stroke Cycle Fuel Injection Engines for Exaust Gas Purification SAE Paper n. 720195 1972
- Bartolini C.M. Caresana F. Vincenzi G. Sviluppo e Sperimentazione di un Sistema di Iniezione Diretta a Bassa Pressione per Motore a Due Tempi C.N.R. PFT2 2 o Convegno Nazionale Genova 29 31 Maggio 1995 Vol. 2
- Bartolini C.M. Chiatti G. Vincenzi G. A Two Stroke Spark-ignition Engine with a Low Pressure Direct Injection 3rd British-Italian Heat Engine Conference Vol. 1 371 380 1992
- Bartolini C.M. Chiatti G. Vincenzi G. Performance Analysis of a Two Stroke Gasoline Engine with Direct injection 3rd Small Engine Technology Conference Pisa Dicembre 1993 1993
- ZIELKE W. Frequency Dependent Friction in Transient Pipe Flow Journal of Basic Engineering, Trans. ASME March 1968 1968
- ZIELKE W. A Short Review of Resistance Laws for unsteady Flow through Pipes and Orifices 1 o Meeting of the IAHR Work Group on the Behaviour of Hydraulic Machinery under Steady Oscillatory Conditions Milano September 1983 1983
- Sandrolini S. Bonacini C. Pubblicazioni dell'Istituto di Macchine dell” Università di Bologna October 1984 1984