This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Technology Guidance Document for Composite Repair to Metallic Structure
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
There is an increasing use of bonded composite doublers, both within the Department of Defense and the commercial aircraft repair community, for the repair or reinforcement of metallic aircraft structure. Due to the increased utilization of this technology by the aircraft repair community, the United States Air Force, through the Air Force Materiel Command, has recognized the need for a comprehensive multi-disciplinary guidance document that details the various aspects of composite repair to metallic structure that are required for the successful widespread application of this technology to both aging and current production aircraft. This guidance document, hereafter referred to as the “Handbook”, is to be developed by the Defense and Space Group of The Boeing Company under a multi-program contractual effort sponsored by Wright Patterson AFB Materials Directorate with Mr. James Mazza serving as the Project Manager. The motivation for this paper is to outline the purpose of the overall effort, the intended contents of the Handbook, and the results of the first phase of this effort, the development of a thematic outline that will be used to form the basis of the Handbook. Included in this paper are the conclusions from user/potential user site visits including the most current applications of this technology, and information on the results from a multidisciplinary survey that was distributed to recipients world wide. In addition, any additional efforts in the Handbook development up to the March 1996 will be included.
|Technical Paper||New Technology for Fuselage Fabrication|
|Book||Care and Repair of Advanced Composites, Second Edition|
|Technical Paper||A Systems Engineering Approach for Development of Aerospace Production Systems|
CitationHillman, T., "Development of a Technology Guidance Document for Composite Repair to Metallic Structure," SAE Technical Paper 961254, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/961254.
- Caruso, R.P. “Boron/Epoxy Composites for Aircraft Structural Repair,” Composite Polymers, 4:242-250(1991).
- Boeing specification D658-10183-1, “Process Specification for the Fabrication and Application of Boron/Epoxy Repairs onto Aluminum Structures,” revision 2, dated August 12, 1993.
- USAF Technical Manual, TO 1-1-690, “General Advanced Composite Repair Processes Manual,” dated 1 August 1990.
- Atluri, S.N. , et al, “Composite Repairs of Cracked Metallic Aircraft Structures,” US DOT, dated 5 1993.
- Fredell, R. , “Crack Patching of Pressurized Transport Fuselages with GLARE Fiber Metal Laminates: USAF Status Update”.
- Schweinberg, W., “Advanced Composite Repairs of the C-141 Wing Structures”.
- Belason, B. , “Boron/epoxy Doublers: Summary of Commercial Aircraft Applications and Activities”.