This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Screening Test for Evaluating Detergent/Dispersant Additives to Diesel Fuels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A simple, relatively short and inexpensive screening test method has been developed for evaluation of available detergent/dispersant diesel fuel additives. The screening test is based on experiments of running a laboratory diesel engine in a pre-determined regime(load cycle). The engine is a single cylinder, 4-stroke DI, naturally aspirated and air cooled. It is coupled to a generator feeding electrical heaters as the load. The test rig is controlled electronically to enable fully automatic test bench operation, including start/stop, load change, emergency shut-down, etc.
The experiments were performed by running the engine on a reference base fuel and then the same fuel with different detergent additives. The nozzle of the fuel injector was checked for clogging by air flow measurements, using the ISO-4010 test rig.
The conclusions drawn from the analysis of the test results are that the method employed here for evaluating the detergent/dispersant additives is effective and has potential as a rapid screening test. It enables comparison between additives which have passed the recognized performance tests and selection of appropriate ones for experimental work in fleet tests or even for actual choice of suitable additives.
CitationGutman, M., Tartakovsky, L., Kirzhner, Y., and Zvirin, Y., "Development of a Screening Test for Evaluating Detergent/Dispersant Additives to Diesel Fuels," SAE Technical Paper 961184, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/961184.
- Gairing M. Marriott J.M. Reders K.H. Reglitzky A.A. Wolveridge P.E. “The Effect of Modern Additive Technology on Diesel Fuel Performance,” SAE Paper No. 950252
- Tartakovsky L. Gutman M. Zvirin Y. “Review of the Diesel Fuel Requirements” Report to the Israeli Ministry of Transportation, Project No. 115-144, Report No. 94-209 Transportation Research Institute Technion, Haifa, Israel March 1994
- Kulinowski M. Henly S. Prowcott P. “Diesel Fuel Additives to Meet Worldwide Performance and Emissions Requirements” SAE Paper No. 932737 1993
- Gutman M. Zvirin Y. Stotter A. “Additives to diesel fuel” Report No. EEC-171 Energy Eng. Center, Faculty of Mechanical Eng., Technion Haifa, Israel January 1993
- Vincent M.W. Papachristos M.J. Williams D. burton J. “Diesel Fuel Detergent Additive Performance and Assessment” SAE Paper No. 942010 1994
- Tupa R.C. Dorer C.J. “Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Additives for Performance/ Distribution/ Quality,” SAE Paper 841211 1984
- Herbstman S. Virk K. “Use of dispersants/detergents in diesel injector keep clean and clean up studies,” SAE Paper No. 912330 1991
- Guide for evaluating aftermarket automotive fuel and lubricant additives, Procedures and polices U.S. Army belvoir research Development and Engineering Center 1992
- Co-ordinating European Council Procedure for Diesel Engine Injector Nozzle Coking Test CEC PF 26 1993
- Gallant T.R. Cusano C.M. Gray J.T. Strete N.M. “Cummins L10 injector depositing test to evaluate diesel fuel quality” SAE Paper No. 912331 1991
- Virk K. Herbstman S. Rawdon M. “Development of direct injection diesel engine injector keep clean and clean up tests,” SAE Paper No. 912329 1991
- Mulard P.P. China P.N. “Development of a Diesel Fuel Screening Test for Injector Nozzle Coking” SAE Paper No. 922184 1992
- Winterbone D.E. Clough C. Rao K.K. Richards P. Williams D. “The Effect of DI Nozzle Fouling on Fuel Spray Characteristics” SAE Paper No. 922232 1992
- Gutman M. Tartakovsky L. Gruenwald T. Zvirin Y. “The effect of adding ignition and combustion improvers to diesel fuel on engine performance,” Proc. 24th Israel Conf. on Mechanical Eng. Haifa, Israel 286 288 May 1994
- Gutman M. Tartakovsky L. Kirzhner Y. Zvirin Y. Luria D. Weiss A. Shuftan M. “Improvement of engine test methodology for evaluating diesel fuel stability,” Proc. 5th Int. Conf. Stability & Handling of Liquid Fuel 1 423 431 Rotterdam, The Netherlands October 1994
- International Standard ISO 4010 1977