This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Current Spray Penetration Models and Proposal of a Phenomenological Cone Penetration Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A phenomenological zero-dimensional spray penetration model was developed for diesel-type conditions for a constant volume chamber. The spray was modeled as a protruding cone which is well-mixed at its tip after passing through initial primary and secondary breakup zones. The resulting cone model is strictly dependent on injection parameters; density ratio, injection and chamber pressure, nozzle characteristics, and cone angle. The proposed model was compared with data from three different sources and performed well in most cases except for low density environments.
CitationSchihl, P., Bryzik, W., and Atreya, A., "Analysis of Current Spray Penetration Models and Proposal of a Phenomenological Cone Penetration Model," SAE Technical Paper 960773, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960773.
- Schweitzer, P.H., “Penetration of Oil Sprays”, Pennsylvania State College Bulletin No. 46, 1937.
- Dent, J.C., “A Basis for the Comparison of Various Experimental Methods for Studying Spray Penetration”, SAE Paper No. 710571 (1971).
- Hiroyasu, H. and Arai, M., “Fuel Spray Penetration and Spray Angle in Diesel Engines”, Trans. of the SAE of Japan, 21 (1980), 5-11.
- Levich, V.G., Physicochemical Hydrodynamics, Prentice-Hall Inc., pp. 639-650 (1962).
- Chikahisa, T. and Murayama, T., “Theory and Experiments on Air-Entrainment in Fuel Sprays and Their Application to Interpret Diesel Combustion Processes”, SAE Paper No. 950447 (1995).
- Wakuri, Y., Fujii, M., Arnitani, T., and Tsuneya, R., “Studies on the Penetration of Fuel Spray in a Diesel Engine”, Bulletin of JSME, Vol. 13, No. 9 (1960).
- Gosman, A.D. and Harvey, P.S., “Computer Analysis of Fuel-Air Mixing and Combustion in An Axi-Symmetric D.I. Diesel”, SAE Paper No. 820036 (1982).
- Faeth, G.M., “Mixing, Transport, and Combustion in Sprays”, Prog. Energy Combust Sci., Vol. 13, pp. 293 -345, 1987.
- Amsden, A-A., Butler, T.D., O'Rourke, P.J., and Ramshaw, J.D., “KIVA - A Comprehensive Model for 2-D and 3-D Engine Simulations”, SAE Paper No. 850554 (1985).
- Pierpont, D.A. and Reitz, R.D., “The Effects of Injection Pressure and Nozzle Geometry on D.I. Diesel Emissions and Performance”, SAE Paper No. 950604 (1995).
- Lai, M-.C., Henein, N.A., Xingbin, X., Chue, T-H., and Yasuhiko, I., “Diesel Spray Behavior Under Cold-Starting Condition”, ILASS-America, May 1995.
- Schihl, P., Atreya, A., and Bryzik, W., “A Large Scale Mixing Model for a Quiescent Chamber Direct Injection Diesel”, accepted for publication by SAE.
- Arai, M., Tabata, M., Hiroyasu, H., and Shimuzu, M., “Disintegrating Process and Spray Characterization of Fuel Jet Injected by a Diesel Nozzle”, SAE Paper No. 840275 (1984).
- Hsiang, L.-P. and Faeth, G.M., “Near-Limit Drop Deformation and Secondary Breakup”, Int. J Multiphase Flow, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 635-652, 1992.
- Hsiang, L.-P. and Faeth, G.M., “Drop Properties After Secondary Breakup”, Int. J. Multiphase Flow, Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 721-735, 1993.
- Ranz, W.E., “Some Experiments on Orifice Sprays”, Canad. J. of Cbem. Engng., Vol. 36, pp. 175-181, 1958.
- Bracco, F.V., “Modeling of Engine Sprays”, SAE Paper 850394 (1985).
- Reitz, R.D. and Bracco, F.V., “On the Dependence of Spray Angle and Other Spray Parameters on Nozzle Design and Operating Conditions”. SAE Paper No. 790494 (1979).
- Reitz, R.D. and Bracco, F.V., “Ultra-High-Speed Filming of Atomizing Jets”, Phys. Fluids, Vol. 22, pp. 1054-1064, June 1979.
- Wu, K-J., Su, C.-C., Steinberger, R.L., Santavicca, D.A., and Bracco, F.V., “Measurements of the Spray Angle of Atomizing Jets”, J. of Fluids Engrg., Vol. 105, pp. 406-413, 1983.
- Ruiz, F. and Chigier, N., “Parametric Experiments on Liquid Jet Atornization Spray Angle”, Atomization and Sprays, Vol. 1, pp. 23-45, 1991.
- Su, T.F. and Farrell, P.V., “Nozzle Effect on High Pressure Diesel Injection”, SAE Paper No. 950083 (1995).
- Hou, Z.-X., Abraham, J., and Siebers, D.L., “Modeling of Diesel Sprays in a Very High Pressure Chamber, Part II: Effects of Combustion”, SAE Paper No. 950603 (1995).
- Duffy, K. and Mellor, A.M., “Engineering Model Development for Diesel Performance and Emissions”, Interim Technical Report, U.S. Army Research Office, 1995.