This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automobile Conceptual “Design Support System” (AutoDSS)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A Knowledge Based Engineering (KBE) tool called ICAD, is being used to develop a design tool for automobile conceptual design. The design tool, known as AutoDSS, is based on an environment architecture which is known as a Design Support System (DSS). The Design Support System creates a virtual prototype of the automobile that includes all of the major assemblies including the exterior body shell, chassis, passengers, power train and running gear. The AutoDSS includes both a geometrical and non-geometrical description of the automobile. The components of the AutoDSS comprise a knowledge base, a high level graphics design environment, a feature based geometry modeler and a synthesis model.
|Technical Paper||AutoDSS: A System Level KBE Tool for Vehicle Product Definition|
|Technical Paper||A Design Rule Based Tool for Automobile Systems Design|
|Technical Paper||“CDaero” - A Parametric Aerodynamic Drag Prediction Tool|
CitationCalkins, D., Guan, L., and Koeser, L., "Automobile Conceptual “Design Support System” (AutoDSS)," SAE Technical Paper 960551, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960551.
New Tools and Techniques for Product and Process Integration
Number: SP-1146 ; Published: 1996-02-01
Number: SP-1146 ; Published: 1996-02-01
- Hoeltzel, D. A. and Chieng, W. H., “Systems for Unified Life-Cycle Mechanical Engineering Design: Shared-Tool Architectures Versus Distributed Tool Architectures,” Engineering with Computers 6, pp. 211-222, 1990.
- “Enabling Technologies for Unified Life-Cycle Engineering of Structural Components,” National Materials Advisory Board, NMAB-55, 1991.
- Calkins, D. E., “Automobile Conceptual Design Support System,” JSME - ASME Joint Workshop on Design '93,“Frontiers in Engineering Design,” June 13-19, 1993, Tokyo, Japan.
- Atkinson, C., “Object Oriented Reuse, Concurrency and Distribution,” ACM Press, 1990.
- Wagner, P. “Design Issues for Object Based Concurrency,” Object Based Concurrent Computing: ECOO Hartmanis, Springer Verlag, 1992.
- Zhentao, Zhang and Rice, Stephen, “Conceptual Design: Perceiving the Pattern,” Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 7, July 1989, pp. 58-60.
- “Understanding Knowledge-Based Engineering, ICAD, Inc., Cambridge, MA, Sept. 1992.
- Calkins, D. E., “An Interactive Computer-Aided Design Synthesis Program for Recreational Powerboats,” Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME) Transactions, Vol. 91, 1983, pp. 49-87.
- Calkins, D. E., and Razzaghi, M., “Feature-Based Design Synthesis and Performance Analysis of Underwater Bodies,” International Symposium on CFD and CAD in Ship Design, MARIN Wageningen, 25-26 September 1990, pp. 197 - 219.
- Calkins, D. E., “A Synthesis Model for a Hybrid Marine Vehicle,” 1989 Inter-Society Advanced Marine Vehicles Conference. Wash. DC., 5-8 June 1989.
- Calkins, D. E., “Ship Synthesis Model Morphology,” Proceedings of the 1988 SNAME Ship Technology and Research Symposium (STAR) and 3rd International Marine systems Design Conference (IMSDC), June 1988.
- Calkins, D. E.(with McCaffree L.A.), “Feature Based Small Craft Design for Producibility,” 4th International Marine Systems Design Conference, May 1991, Kobe, Japan, pp. 61 - 74.
- Koeser, L.J., “Structured Knowledge Base Creation for an Automobile Design Support System,”, Master's Thesis, University of Washington, Department of Mechanical Engineering, 1995.
- Calkins, D. E., “SAE Formula Car Competition: A Study in “Systems Engineering,” 1992 ASEE Annual Conference Proceedings, Toledo, OH, 21-25 June, 1992, pp. 816-823.
- Calkins, D. E., “Focus-Based Design Education: A Case Study,” ASME Resource Guide to Innovation in Engineering Design Education, ASME 1993 Design Education Conference, Orlando, FL, March 24-26, 1993, pp. 109-112.
- Carr, G. W. and Stapleford, W. R., “A Proposed Empirical Method for Predicting the Aerodynamic Drag of Cars,” Motor Industry Research Association, Report No. 1981/1.
- Rose, M. J., “Appraisal and Modification of Empirical Method for Predicting the Aerodynamic Drag of Cars,” Motor Industry Research Association, Report No. 1986/1.
- Guan, L., “Feature Based Aerodynamic Drag Coefficient Metamodel,” Master's Thesis, University of Washington, Department of Mechaniical Engineering, 1995.