This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Spark-Ignition Engine Knock Control and Threshold Value Determination
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Knock control algorithms were developed for a spark-ignition engine. Spark timing was controlled using cylinder block vibration signal. The vibration signal of a 1.5 L four cylinder spark-ignition engine was measured using an accelerometer which was attached to the cylinder block. The maximum amplitude of the bandpass-filtered accelerometer signals was used as the knock intensity.
Three different spark-ignition engine knock control algorithms were tested experimentally. Two algorithms were conventional algorithms in which knock threshold values were predetermined for each engine condition. Spark timing was retarded and advanced depending on the knock intensity in one algorithm and the knock occurrence interval in the other algorithm.
The third algorithm was a new algorithm in which knock threshold values were automatically corrected by monitoring knock condition. Knock condition was determined by the nondimensional variance of the 10 cycles' cylinder block vibration data which were sampled continuousely for each cylinder. It was confirmed that the value of nondimensional variance could be used as a tool of knock threshold value determination.
CitationHam, Y., Chun, K., Lee, J., and Chang, K., "Spark-Ignition Engine Knock Control and Threshold Value Determination," SAE Technical Paper 960496, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960496.
- Heywood John B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamental” Mc-Graw Hill 1988
- Franklin Matthew L. Murphy Thomas E. “A Study of Knock and Power Loss in the Automotive Spark Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 890161 1989
- Kōnig G. Maly R.R. Bradley D. Lau A.K.C. Sheppard C.G.W. “Role of Exothermic Centres on Knock Initiation and Knock Damage” SAE Paper 902136 1990
- Chun K.M. Heywood J.B. “Characterization of Knock in a Spark-Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 890156 1989
- Chun K. M. Kim K. W. “Measurement and Analysis of Knock in a SI Engine Using the Cylinder Pressure and Block Vibration Signals” SAE Paper 940146 1994
- Valtadoros Tassos H. Wong Victor W. Heywood John B. “Engine Knock Characteristics at the Audible Level” SAE Paper 910567 1991
- Sawamoto K. Kawamura Y. Kita T. Matsushita K. “Individual Cylinder Knock Control by Detecting Cylinder Pressure” SAE Paper 871911 1987
- Hirako O. Murakami N. Akishino K. “Influence of Valve Noise on Knock Detection in Spark Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 880084 1988
- Priede T. Dutklewicz R. K. “The Effect of Normal Combustion and Knock on Gasoline Engine Noise” SAE Paper 891126 1989
- Boccadoro Y. Kizer T. “Adaptive Spark Control with Knock Detection” SAE Paper 840447 1984
- Decker Heinz Gruber Hans-Ulrich “Knock Control of Engines - A Comparison of Solutions and Techniques, with Special Reference to Future European Emission Legislation” SAE Paper 850298 1985
- Iwata T. Sakakibara K. Haraguchi H. “A New Method to Automatically Optimize the Knock Detection Level in the Knock Control System” SAE Paper 891964 1989
- Rohde S. Philipp M. “Combined Boost Pressure and Knock Control System for S.I. Engines Including 3-D Maps for Control Parameters” SAE Paper 890459 1989
- Schmillen Karl P. Rechs Manfred “Different Methods of Knock Detection and Knock Control” SAE Paper 910858 1991
- Fauzi Soelaiman T. A. Kittelson D. B. “Detecting Knock in Noisy Spark Ignition Engines” SAE Paper 931900 1993