This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hot Chamber Diecasting of Magnesium Alloy AM50A for Automotive Interior Structural Components
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Increased requirements for crash energy management in automotive interiors have led to increased application of magnesium alloy AM50A. Successful integration of this new alloy with hot chamber diecasting process technology requires substantial adjustment and attention to processes and practices. This paper details the conversion of magnesium AZ91D steering column diecastings to high ductility structural alloy. Description is given of the changes made to foundry practices, casting parameters, process compliance monitoring, and hot end component management. The resulting improvements allow production of components comparable to the traditional alloy in manufacturing process demands while offering improved ductility and impact strength.
|Technical Paper||Virtual Tests for Facilitating Steering Wheel Development|
|Technical Paper||Nickalyn - High Strength Aluminum Alloys of a New Generation|
|Technical Paper||Forming of Magnesium Alloys - A Solution for Light Weight Construction|
CitationJacques, R., DasGupta, R., and Shearouse, J., "Hot Chamber Diecasting of Magnesium Alloy AM50A for Automotive Interior Structural Components," SAE Technical Paper 960416, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960416.
- Allbright D.L. “Current Trends in the Development and Utilization of Magnesium Alloys,” 1995 World Conference on Magnesium San Francisco, California International Magnesium Association 1995
- Bartlett T. “Feasibility of Magnesium for a Lightweight Automotive Seat Frame Application,” 1995 World Conference on Magnesium San Francisco, California International Magnesium Association 1995
- Tratch M.S. Renaud J. “A Critical Review of Piston Design and Performance in Hot Chamber Magnesium Die-casting,” 1991 Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan North American Die Casting Association 1991
- Allbright D.L. Thorvaldsen A. Albright D.L. “Sludge in Magnesium Die Castings” 1993 Congress and Exposition Cleveland, Ohio North American die Casting Association 1993
- Klein F. “Fluidity of the Magnesium Pressure Die-Casting Alloys AZ91DHP, AM20, and AE42,” 1994 World Conference on Magnesium Berlin, Germany International Magnesium Association 1994