This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
PM - Connecting Rods: Porosity Versus Performance - An Inevitable Conflict?
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Since many years sinterforged con-rods produced via different forging processes (near net shape or net shape forging) are successful in operation in several automotive engines. Latest results of different con-rod projects (partially funded by the German Government) show that even sintered components with densities in the range of 7,1 g/cm3 offer fatigue strength values comparable
to those of sinterforged con-rods. The processing has a major influence to the fatigue behaviour and to machinability. Experiments with test bars allow only limited correlation to real components. So it is necessary to compare performance and cost-structure of finished con-rods to give a reliable evaluation for the capabilities of different manufacturing routes.
|Technical Paper||Rating Sleeve Bearing Material Fatigue Life in Terms of Peak Oil Film Pressure|
|Technical Paper||A Study on Engine Bearing Wear and Fatigue Using EHL Analysis and Experimental Analysis|
CitationErnst, E., Eilrich, U., and Weber, M., "PM - Connecting Rods: Porosity Versus Performance - An Inevitable Conflict?," SAE Technical Paper 960383, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960383.
- Weber, M. COST EFFECTIVE FINISHING OF POWDER FORGED CONNECTING RODS WITH THE FRACTURE SPLITTING METHOD SAE, International Congress Detroit 1991
- DATAFIPS: DATABASE FOR MECHANICAL DATA OF PM-MATERIALS Fraunhofer Institut für Betriebsfestigkeit LBF Bartningstr 47 64289 Darmstadt, Germany
- Sonsino, C. M. IMPROVEMENT OF MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF DIFFUSION AND PREALLOYED SINTERED STEELS BY HEAT TREATMENT powder metallurgy international 1992
- Chernenkoff, R. A. Hall, D. W. Mocarski, S. CON-ROD POWDERS REVEAL QUALITY CONSISTENCY Met. Powder Rep. Sept. 1994
- Eilrich, Uwe Neubert, Harald NEW MATERIALS AND OPTIMISED PROCESSES FOR PF COMPONENTS MPIF / APMI Conference PM 2 TEC 1994 8 - 11 May Toronto
- Ernst, Eberhard Kukulies, Ulrich DESIGN OF PM-CONNECTING RODS 1995 Aachen Ger.