This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical and Experimental Study of Three Dimensional Flow in Engine Room
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1996 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The knowledge of air flow in the engine room has become increasingly important in recent car design. In the current research, an experimental study as well as a numerical study has been conducted regarding the flow field in engine room. Investigation has also been made upon the flow rate and the uniformity of the axial mean velocity of the flow entering the radiator, by varying the front-opening area. Both factors are thought to be directly affecting the cooling performance of the radiator. As it has been expected, the result shows that there exist a high degree of non-uniformity in the mean flow velocity at the front of the radiator.
|Technical Paper||An Analysis of Frost Formation on Vehicle Windows|
|Technical Paper||Simulations of Thin Film Dynamics on a Flat Plate and an Airfoil|
|Technical Paper||Research on Axially Grooved Heat Pipe Heat Transfer Characteristics in Ground Tests|
CitationLyu, M. and Ku, Y., "Numerical and Experimental Study of Three Dimensional Flow in Engine Room," SAE Technical Paper 960270, 1996, https://doi.org/10.4271/960270.
- Sami D. et al., Airflow Thermal Analysis of Underhood Engine, SAE Paper 940316, 1994.
- Jung J.S.,, Huh N.K.,, Analysis of Engine Cooling System for a Passenger Vechle, SAE Paper 912505, 1991.
- Williams J.E., Hackett J.E., Water Flow Simulation of Automotive Underhood Airflow Phenomena, SAE Paper 910307, 1991.
- Shimonosono H. et al., Optimization of the Heat Flow Distribution in the Engine Compartment, SAE Paper 930883, 1993.
- Katoh N. et al., Numerical Simulation on the Three Dimensional Flow and Heat Transfer in the Engine Compartment, SAE Paper 910308, 1991.
- Han T. et al., Three -Dimensional Navier-Stokes Analysis of Front End Air Flow for a Simplified Engine Compartment, SAE Paper 921091, 1992..
- Aoki A. et al, Numerical Simulation of Three Dimensional Engine Compartment Air Flow in FWD, SAE Paper 900086, 1990.
- cotti A et al., Engine Compartment Airflow Investigations using a Laser-Doppler Velocimeter, SAE Paper 910308, 1991.
- Adapco, STAR/CD Version 2.21, 1994.
- Himeno Ryutaro et al., Numerical Analysis of the Airflow around Automobile Using Multi-block Structured Grids, SAE Paper 900319, 1990.
- Chiou J.P., The effect of the flow nonuniformity on the sizing of the engine radiator, SAE Paper 800219, 1980.