This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Review of the Air Bag Effectiveness in Real Life Accidents Demands - for Positioning and Optimal Deployment of Air Bag Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In Europe there is less experience with air bag deployments in accidents than the US-scene. Within the continuing in-depth investigations at the Medical University Hannover 41 accidents with air bag deployments could be documented. A detailed description of selected accidents is given in the study. The injuries of the occupants are described and the injury mechanisms caused by the air bag deployment are discussed. In the study the distribution of injury severities are compared for accidents with seat belt system only correlating to those with air bag additionally.
The air bag fitted cases demonstrate that the protective effect was essentually based on using the seat belt. Especially for less load level some injuries occured which can called as airbag specific injuries. These are some haematoma in the thorax and face region als well as burn injuries, but a higher risk for distorsions of the cervical spine AIS 1 could be seen.
These results lead to the supposition that in case of air bag - seat belt systems the current level of deployment is too low. It is the proposal of the study to use the effectiveness of the seat belt system only up to delta-v 35 or 40 km/h and the air bag effectiveness should be aimed at above this delta-v level. The benefit of an air bag could be established with higher delta-v.
A second part of the study quantifies the benefit of an airbag for frontal and lateral collisions.
CitationOtte, D., "Review of the Air Bag Effectiveness in Real Life Accidents Demands - for Positioning and Optimal Deployment of Air Bag Systems," SAE Technical Paper 952701, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952701.
- Zeidler, F. Berlin September 1994
- Malliaris, A.C. Digges, K.H. DeBlois, J.H. Evaluation of Air Bag Field Performance SAE-Paper 950869 - SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit/USA March 1995
- Dalmotas, D. J. Hurley, R.M. German, A. Air Bag Deployments Involving Restrained Occupants SAE Paper 950868 - SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit/USA March 1995
- Zador, P.L. Ciccone, M.A. Automobile Driver Fatalities in Frontal Impacts: Air Bags Compared with Manual Belts American Journal of Public Health 83 5 661 666 May 1993
- Foster, J.D. Thind, I.S. Fuller, J. Louria, D.B. Automobile Accidents - Seat Belts and Air Bags New Jersey Medicine 83 11 715 720 Nov. 1986
- Huelke, D.F. An Overview of Air Bag Deployments and Related Injuries Case Studies and a Review of the Literature SAE-Paper 950866 - SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit/USA March 1995
- Campbell, J.K. Automobile Air Bag Eye Injuries Nebraska Medical Journal 78 9 306 307 Sept. 1993
- Steinmann, R. A 40-year-old woman with an air bag mediated injury Journal of Emergency Nursing 8 4 308 310 Aug. 1992
- Roth, T. Meredith, P. Hand injuries from inflation of an air bag security system Journal of Hand Surgery 18 4 520 522 Aug. 1993
- Lancaster, G.I. DeFrance, J.H. Borruso, J.J. Air Bag-Associated Rupture of the Right Atrium The New England Journal of Medicine 358 Feb. 4 1993
- Otte, D. The Accident Research Unit Hannover as Example for Importance and Benefit of Existing In Depth Investigations SAE Paper 940712 - SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit/USA March 1994
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Airbag Effectiveness, Popularity Balloon; Injuries Raise Concern Highway + Vehicle Safety Report 7 April 1995
- Malliaris, AC Digges, KH DeBlois, JH Injury Patterns of Car Occupants under Air Bag Deployment SAE-Paper 950867 - SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit/USA March 1995
- Libertiny, GZ Air Bag Effectiveness - Trading Major Injuries for Minor Ones SAE-Paper 950871 - SAE International Congress and Exposition Detroit/USA March 1995
- Marsh, JC Air Bags: education and experience Automotive Engineering 29 32 Sept. 1993
- Hassan, AM Morris, AP Mackay, M Haland, Y Injury Severity in Side Impacts - Implications for Side Impact Airbag Proc. IRCOBI Brunnen/Switzerland Sept. 1995