This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Structured, Concurrent Engineering Approach to Friction Material Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the collaboration between BBA Friction Ltd and the University of Liverpool in establishing a Concurrent Engineering (CE) environment that exactly meets the current and future requirements of BBA Friction Ltd. BBA were trying to design a friction materials development process to meet the needs of their customers in a way that would significantly improve material performance, reduce product development lead times and enhance customer satisfaction. The paper describes the concept of CE, BBA Friction Ltd's materials development needs and why the CE environment approach was selected. It then goes on to describe how BBA Friction Ltd's CE environment was developed, how the implementation was planned and executed and the results of the work. It also shows how a successful collaboration may be conducted between a commercial engineering company and an academic institution.
CitationHaigh, M., Barclay, I., Poolton, J., and Dann, Z., "A Structured, Concurrent Engineering Approach to Friction Material Development," SAE Technical Paper 952695, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952695.
- Teresko J. Engineering: Where Competitive Success Begins Industry Week November 19 1990 30 38
- Taft J. Barclay I. Trends in New Product Development and the Introduction of Simultaneous Engineering PDMA Conference “Managing Product Development: Winning in the 90's” Chicago October 1992 66 76
- Stalk G. Hout T. A. Competing Through Time Free Press New York 1990
- Clark K. B. Fujimito T. Product Development Performance Harvard Business School Press Boston, Mass. 1991
- Carter D. E. Baker B. S. Concurrent Engineering: The Product Development Environment for the 1990's Adison Wesley Inc. Reading, Mass. 1992
- Vesey J. T. Meet the New Competition: They Think in terms of Speed to the Market Industrial Engineer December 1990 20 26
- Barclay I. Taft J. Simultaneous Engineering: A Management Evaluation and Establishment Model and Methodology IEEE Conference “Managing in a Global Environment” Eaton Town October 1992 119 122
- Clark K. B. Fujimito T. The Power of Product Integrity Harvard Business Review Nov/Dec 1991 107 118
- Hartley J. Simultaneous Engineering Industrial Newsletter Ltd. Dunstable, Beds. 1991
- Spokas R.B. Clutch friction material evaluation procedures Intl. off-highway and powerplant congress and exposition SAE 1984
- Todorovic J. Duboka C. Arsenic Z. Modelling of the tribological properties of friction materials used in motor vehicle brakes Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs., Tribology-friction, lubrication and wear fifty years on 1987
- Haigh M.J. A Systems Approach to the Tribological Evaluation of Friction Materials Proc. Engineering Academy of Russia, 2nd International Symposium on the Tribology of Friction Materials 1994
- Oldershaw R.M. Prestidge A.F. Birkmyre R.C. Brake road testing in the laboratory SAE proc. 730563 1973