This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Correlating Engine Wear with Filter Multipass Testing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel engine lubricant filtration is relied upon to protect critical engine components against wear. The type of filtration and the efficiency of particle removal is vital to minimizing engine wear. This paper presents the results of a comprehensive study which characterized the correlation between engine dynamometer tests and eight different engine filtration configurations. The experimental filtration schemes were exhaustively tested according to the well known multipass test procedure, SAE J1858.
A low level Surface Layer Activation (SLA) radioactive spot was deposited at six points throughout the tested engine. Controlled, pressurized 0-30 micron test dust in an engine oil suspension was injected into the test engine under prescribed conditions and the progressive wear was measured at all the six points for four of the experimental filtration setups.
Results show that a strong correlation exists between engine wear and the filtration efficiency of solid contaminant in the engine lube. It is clearly demonstrated that higher efficiency filtration results in cleaner lube oil and thus less engine wear.
|Technical Paper||Review of Lubricant Contamination and Diesel Engine Wear|
|Technical Paper||Total Filtration ™: The Influence of Filter Selection on Engine Wear, Emissions, and Performance|
CitationJones, G. and Eleftherakis, J., "Correlating Engine Wear with Filter Multipass Testing," SAE Technical Paper 952555, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952555.
- Correlating Lube Oil Filtration Efficiencies with Engine Wear SAE 881825 Staley David R.
- Review of Lubricant Contamination and Diesel Engine Wear SAE 881827 Needlelman William M. Madhavan Puliyur V.
- Application of High Efficiency Oil Filtration to Heavy Duty Diesel Bus Engines SAE 920927 Beauchamp Mark J.
- Influence of Lube Oil Filter Performance on Engine Wear in City Buses SAE 902238 Schwandt Brian W. Verdegan Barry M.
- Hydraulic Filter Fine Element Multipass Test National Fluid Power Association Milwaukee, WI
- Hydraulic Filter Fine Element Multipass Test 1981 International Organization for Standardization Stockholm, Sweden
- Test Methods for Automotive Filtration SAE 930016 Eleftherakis John G. Khalil Abrahim