This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Time-Resolved Analysis of Soot Formation and Oxidation in a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine for Different EGR-Rates by an Extinction Method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The formation of soot during the first phase and the oxidation of soot during the later phase of the combustion in a direct-injection diesel engine have been investigated in detail by an extinction method. The experiments were performed in a 1.9 l near-production high-speed four-cylinder in-line direct-injection diesel engine for passenger cars for different rates of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) and for different fuels. The measurements result in crank angle resolved and cycle-averaged soot mass concentrations in the piston bowl and the combustion chamber.
The results show that with increasing EGR-rates the amount of soot formed is increased only slightly but the amount of soot oxidized during combustion decreases significantly. This is assumed to be the main reason for the increase of soot in the exhaust gas with increasing EGR-rates.
CitationHentschel, W. and Richter, J., "Time-Resolved Analysis of Soot Formation and Oxidation in a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine for Different EGR-Rates by an Extinction Method," SAE Technical Paper 952517, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952517.
SAE 1995 Transactions: Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V104-4; Published: 1996-09-01
Number: V104-4; Published: 1996-09-01
- Arcoumanis, C. Bae, C, Nagwaney, A. Whitelaw, J.H. Effect of EGR on combustion development in a 1.9 l DI diesel optical engine SAE paper 950850 1995
- Arcoumanis, C. Nagwaney, A. Hentschel, W. Röpke, S. Effect of EGR on spray development, combustion and emissions in a 1.9 l direct-injection diesel engine SAE paper 95xxxx 1995 Fuels & Lubricants Toronto
- Röpke, S. Schweimer, G.W. Strauss, T.S. NO x formation in diesel engines for various fuels and intake gases SAE paper 950213 1995
- Hötger, M. 56 5 1995 278 280 German
- Matsui, Y. Kamimoto, T. Matsuoka, S. A study on the time- and space-resolved measurement of flame temperature and soot concentration in a DI diesel engine by the two-colour method SAE paper 790491 1979
- Ohmstede, G. Hentschel, W. Time-resolved infrared spectroscopy: Evaluation of temperature for various EGR rates in a DI-diesel engine SAE paper 95xxxx 1995 Fuels & Lubricants Toronto
- Alatas, B. Pinson, J.A. Litzinger, T.A. Santavicca, D.A. A study of NO and soot evolution in a DI diesel engine via planar imaging SAE paper 930973 1993
- Tree, D.R. Foster, D.E. Optical measurements of soot particle size, number density, and temperature in a direct injection diesel engine as a function of speed and load. SAE paper 940270 1994
- Pinson, J.A. Ni, T. Litzinger, T.A. Quantitative imaging study of the effects of intake air temperature on soot evolution in an optically-accessible D.I. diesel engine SAE paper 942044 1994
- Dec, J.E. Espey, C. Ignition and early soot formation in a DI diesel engine using multiple 2-D imaging diagnostics SAE paper 950456 1995
- Müller, A. Wittig, S. Influence of temperature and pressure on soot formation in a shock tube under high pressure conditions Proc. 18th Symp. (Int.) on shock waves Inst. of Fluide Science, Tohoku University Sendai, Japan 1991
- Bäcker, H. Wiartalla, A. Application of light extinction methods for the investigation of soot formation during combustion in a model chamber Int. Symp. Comodia '94 1994 565 570
- Richter, J.-U. Wolfsburg 1994 German
- Mitchell, D.L. Pinson, J.A. Litzinger, T.A. The effects of simulated EGR via intake air dilution on combustion in an optically-accessible DI diesel engine SAE paper 932728 1993
- Wölfle, M. Strömberg, S. Houben, M. Lepperhoff, G. Influence of engine operating parameters on pollutant formation during diesel engine combustion I Mech E 1993 11 17
- Hentschel, W. Schindler, K.-P. Haahtela, O. European diesel research IDEA - experimental results from DI diesel engine investigations SAE paper 941954 1994
- van de Hulst, H.C. Light scattering by small particles Dover Publications New York 1981
- Kerker, M. The scattering of light and other electromagnetic radiation Academic Press New York, London 1969
- Kontani, K. Goto, S. Measurement of soot in a diesel combustion chamber by light extinction method and in-cylinder observation by highspeed shadowgraphy SAE paper 861234 1986
- Lee, S.C. Tien, C.L. Optical constants of soot in hydrocarbon flames 18th Symp. (Int.) on Combustion The Combustion Institute 1981 1159 1166
- Goergens, G. Strauss, A. Willmann, M. 53 3 1992 3 12 German