This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Simulation of Combustion in Premixed SI Engines Using Fractal Flame Models
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Multidimensional computations of homogeneous charge spark ignition engines were made with the KIVA II code. Combustion was simulated using the Fractal Flame Model of Zhao . The original code was modified to obtain better calculations of heat transfer and to take into account the mass flow in the crevices.
The predictions were compared with measurements carried out on a CFR engine. The tests were carried out in stoichiometric condition with isooctane. Compression ratio, ignition timing and EGR level were selected as test parameters.
The global agreement between calculations and experiments was evaluated on the basis of heat release, indicated pressure patterns and pollutants measurements.
For the lower compression ratio (7.7) the predictions of pressure cycle generally were in good agreement with experiments. However the empirical constant used in this condition cannot be used at higher compression ratio to obtain acceptable predictions of the pressure cycle.
The calculations generally over-estimate NOx. Moreover the model is not able to predict correctly HC and CO levels in the exhaust.
CitationDe Petris, C., Diana, S., Giglio, V., Golini, S. et al., "Numerical Simulation of Combustion in Premixed SI Engines Using Fractal Flame Models," SAE Technical Paper 952383, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952383.
- Weller, H.G. Uslu, S. Gosmann, A. D. Maly, R.R. Herweg, R. Heel, B. “Prediction of Combustion in Homogeneous-Charge Spark Ignition Engines” COMODIA 94 1994
- Cheng, W. K. Diringer, J. A. “Numerical Modelling of SI Engine Combustion with a Flame Sheet Model” SAE Technical Paper 910268 1991
- Boudier, P. Henriot, S. Poinsot, T. Baritaud, T. “A Model for Turbulent Flame Ignition and Propagation in Spark Ignition Engines” 24th Symposium on Combustion 1992
- Zhao, X. Matthews, R. D. Ellzey, J.L. “Three-Dimensional Numerical Simulation of Flame Propagation in Spark Ignition Engines” SAE Technical Paper 932713 1993
- Zhao, X. Matthews, R. D. Ellzey, J.L. “Numerical Simulation of Combustion in SI Engines: Comparison of the Fractal Flame Model to the Coherent Flame Model” COMODIA 94 1994
- Weller, HG Marooney, CJ Gosman, AD “ A New Spectral Method for Calculation of the Time Varying Area of a Laminar Flame in Homogeneous Turbulence” 23rd Symposium on Combustion 629 636
- Wirth, M. Keller, P Peters, N. “A Flamelet Model for Premixed Turbulent Combustion in SI-Engines” SAE Technical Paper 932646
- Bray, K.N.C. Peters, N. “Laminar Flamelets in Turbulent Flames” Ercoftac Summer School 1993
- Mantzaras, J Felton, P.G. Bracco, F V “Fractals and Turbulent Premixed Engine Flames” Combustion and Flame 77 295 310 1989
- North, G.L. Santavicca, D.A. “The Fractal Nature of Premixed Turbulent Flames” Combustion Sci and Tech. 72 215 232 1990
- Gouldin, F. C. Bray, K. N. C. Chen, J. Y. “Chemical Closure Model for Fractal Flamlets” Combustion and Flame 77 241 259 1989
- Wu, C-M. Roberts, C. E. Matthews, R. D. Hall, M. J. “Effects of Engine Speed on Combustion in SI Engines: Comparison of Predictions of a Fractal Burning Model with Experimental Data” SAE Technical Paper 932714 1993
- Amsden, AA O'Rourke, P.J. Butler, T.D. “KIVA-II A Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays” Los Alamos National Labs. 1989
- Abraham, J. F Bracco, V. Reitz, R. D. “Comparison of Computed and Measured Premixed Charge Engine Combustion” Combustion and Flame 60 309 322 1985
- Heywood, J. B. Internal combustion engines fundamentals Mc-Graw Hill Book Co. New York 1988
- Launder, B.E. Spalding, D. B. “The Numerical Computation of Turbulent Flows” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics 3 269 289 1974
- Reitz, R. D. “Assessment of Wall Heat Transfer Models for Premixed-Charge Engine Combustion Computations” SAE Tecnical Paper 910267 1991
- Yang, J. Martin, J.K. “Approximate Solution- one-Dimensional Energy equation for Transient, Compressible, Low Mach Number Turbulent Boundary Layer Flows” Journal of Heat Transfer 111 619 624 1989
- Poulos, S. G. Heywood, J. B. “The effect of Chamber Geometry on Spark Ignition Engine Combustion” SAE Thecnical Paper 830334 1983
- Reitz, R.D. Kuo, T.W. “Modeling of HC Emissions Due to Crevice Flows in Premixed-Charge Engines” SAE Technical Paper 892085 1989
- De Petris, C. Giglio, V. Police, G. “A Mathematical Model for the Calculation of Blow-by Flow and Oil Consumption Depending on Ring Pack Dynamic” SAE Technical Paper 941940 1994
- Kuratle Rolf H. Balz Markl “Influencing Parameters and Error Sources During Indication on Internal Combustion Engines” SAE Thecnical Paper 920233 1992