This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of the Lubricant Oil on the Wear of Diesel Engine Components
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 1995 SAE Brasil
The exhaust gases emission regulations, with very restrictive limits, have imposed the need of developments in other areas, among them, in the internal components developments. The necessary maintenance of low levels of oil consumption for long periods of engine use, leads to the development of components with higher wear resistance and higher efficiency. Among these components, the piston rings and the cylinders play an important role in the oil consumption control and also in the engine service life.
This paper presents the results of engine tests run to compare the components wear (piston rings and cylinders) when using different types of lubricant oils.
CitationDemarchi, V., Windlin, F., and Leal, M., "The Influence of the Lubricant Oil on the Wear of Diesel Engine Components," SAE Technical Paper 952253, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952253.
- VATAVUK, J. DEMARCHI, V. Improvement of Cylinder Liner Materials Wear Resistance 931671 1993
- TOMANIK, E. DEMARCHI, V. VATAVUK, J. Nitrided Steel Piston Rings for Internal Combustion Engines SAE Paper nr. 942394 1994
- DEMARCHI, V. VATAVUK, J. Nitrided Gray Cast Iron Piston Rings SAE Paper nr. 942393 1994
- THOM, R. et al. Extended Oil Drain Intervals: Conservation of Resources or Reduction of Engine Life SAE Paper nr. 951035 1995
- The LUBRIZOL Corporation Future Directions '95 - An Exploration of Challenges and Opportunities
- EXXON Chemical Company Paramins Automotive World Trends 1990
- VATAVUK, J. DEMARCHI, V. Effect of the Addition of Hard Particles on the Wear of Liner and Ring Materials Running with High Sulfur Fuel SAE Paper nr. 950527 1995
- RIPPLE, D.E. GUZAUSKAS, J.F. Fuel Sulfur Effects on Diesel Engine Lubrication SAE Paper nr. 902175 1990
- SCHRAMM, J. HENNINGSEN, S. SORENSON, S.C. Modelling of Corrosion of Cylinder Liner in Diesel Engines Caused by Sulfur in the Diesel Fuel SAE Paper nr. 940818 1994
- BALNAVES, M. et al. Fuel Property Effects on Ring and Liner Wear Rates in a DDC 6V-53T Using SLA Techniques SAE Paper nr. 912326 1991