This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Preliminary Study for Development of Numerical Analysis of Identation in an Steel to Automotive Industry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: 1995 SAE Brasil
In the present work we study the static indentation, i.e., the formation of small dents which result from laboratory tests specifically developed with this purpose.
A mathematical model will be presented. It is based on the numerical and experimental tests performed with previous adjustment of all the mechanical variables involved. This model considers the test specimen and indentator geometry, the sheet anisotropic condition, the sheet's plasticity, and the contact conditions between the plate and the indentator developed.
There is a goal to satisfy: specific requirements of a consumer market which is continuously willing for the development of materials with thinner thickness and better mechanical properties. To reach this goal, high strength steels manufactured by the SCAL (Sheet Continuous Annealing Line) are already been produced and tested in experimental scale. These bake-hardening steels can be used to manufacture external panels in the automobile industry.
This work uses CAD/CAM/CAE tools to parametrize data and to design an “electronic prototype”. This prototype shall adequate itself to tests conducted with any kind of steel and indicate the minimum sheet thickness for conformation in several cases.
At last, the numerical and experimental results obtained with the materials tested are continuously compared and analyzed in order to provide better correlation.
Citationde Moura Neto, C., Do Couto, V., and de M. Brito, R., "Preliminary Study for Development of Numerical Analysis of Identation in an Steel to Automotive Industry," SAE Technical Paper 952243, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952243.
- MAEDER, G. “Que materiais para qual carro?” Metalurgia e Materiais - A. B. M. 51 104 106 1995
- McKENNA, M. “A Growing Market for Bake-hardening Steels” New Steel 51 53 1993
- De La ROSA, A. C. M. “Sistemas CAD/CAM e os novos conceitos de manufatura” Metalurgia e Materiais - A. B. M. 50 450 456 1994
- DICELLO, J. A. GEORGE, R. A. “Design Criteria for the Dent Resistence of Auto Body Panels” International Engineering Congress Michigan/EUA SAE/Technical paper series, 740081 1974
- YUTORI, Y. NOMURA, S. KOKUBO, I. ISHIGAKI, H. “Studies on the Static Dent Resistance” Memories Scientifiques Révue Metallurgie 561 569 1980
- MAHMOOD, H. F. “Dent Resistance of Surface Panel and Slam Area” International Congress and Exposition Michigan/EUA SAE/Technical paper series, 810099 1981
- SAKAI, H. SAITO, K. TSUKADA, H. “Stiffness and Dent Characteristics of Body Outer Surface Panel - Finite Element Analysis and Experiment” Int. J. of Vehicle Design 4 1 13 22 1983
- KOVCH, I. TRUMAN, O. BALA, M. KKDTHOMPSON, R. “Use of Continously Annealed Bake Hardenable Steels for Automobile Outer Panels” International Congress and Exposition Michigan/EUA SAE/Technical paper series, 900715 1990
- ALANIZ, C. L. BROOKES, L. E. SEEL, T. N. “ Investigation of Body Panel Stiffness as Predicted by Finite Element Analysis” International Congress and Exposition Michigan/EUA SAE technical paper series, 900716 1990
- SHI, M. F. MEULEMAN, D. J. ALANIZ, C. L. ZURDOSKY, S. J. “An Evaluation of the Dynamic Dent Resistance of Automotive Steels” International Congress and Exposition Michigan/EUA SAE technical paper series, 910287 1991
- SHI, M. F. MEULEMAN, D. J. ALANIZ, C. L. ZURDOSKY, S. J. “Prestrain Effects on Static Dent Resistance of Automotive Steels” International Congress and Exposition Michigan/EUA SAE technical paper series, 919288 1991
- BURLEY, C. E. NIEMEIER, B. A. KOCH, G. P. “Dynamic Denting Autobody Panels” Automotive Engineering Congress and Exposition Michigan/EUA SAE/Technical paper series, 760165 1976
- BURLEY, C. E. NIEMEIER, B. A. “Denting Properties of Aluminum Autobody Components” International Automotive Engineering Michigan/EUA SAE/Technical paper series, 770199 1977
- KUROSHAWA, M. SATOH, T. OBARA, T. TSUMOYAMA, K. IRIE, T. “Age Hardening Behaviour of Deep Drawable and Bake Hardenable Steel Sheet Produced by High-temperature Continous Annealing” Int. Journal of Materials and Product Technology 4 o 3 244 258 1989
- KATAYAMA, T. TAKAHASHI, M. USUDA, M. AKISUE, O. “Study of Formable High Strength Steel Sheets for Automotive Panels” International Congress & Exposition Michigan/EUA SAE/Technical paper series, 920247 1992
- SEEL. T. “Bake Hardening Steel Application Study - Key Factors of Dent Resistance Improvement” International Congress and Exposition Michigan/EUA SAE/Technical paper series, 919291 1991
- PRADHAN, R. “Dent-resistant Bake-Hardening Steels for Automotive Outer-body applications” International Congress & Exposition Michigan/EUA SAE/Technical paper series, 910290 1991
- OKAMOTO, A. TAKAHASHI, M. HINO, T. “Development of Bake-Hardenable Al-killed Steel Sheet by Box-annealing Process” Transactions ISIJ 21 802 811 1981
- ONO, S. NOZOE, O. SHIMOMURA, T. MATSUDO, K. Effect of Carbon on the Mechanical Properties of Continuous-annealed Drawing-quality Steels” Symposium Metallurgy of Continous-Annealed Sheet Steel 99 115 Pensilvannie/EUA The Metallurgical Society of AIME 1982
- TAKAHASHI, N. ABE, M. AKISUE, O. KATOH, H. “Metallurgical Basis to Design a Continous-annealing Process for Producing Deep Drawing Steel Sheet” Symposium Metallurgy of Continous-Annealed Seet Seel 51 81 Pensilvannie/EUA The Metallurgical Society of AIME 1982
- IRIE, T. SATOH, S. YASUDA, A. HASHIMOTO, O. “Development of Deep Drawable and Bake Hardenable High Strength Steel Sheet by Continuous Annealing of Extra Low-Carbon Steels with Nb or Ti, and P” Symposium Metallurgy of Continous-Annealed Sheet Steel 155 171 Pensilvannie/EUA The Metallurgical Society of AIME 1982
- HANAI, S TAKEMOTO N. TOKUNAGA, Y. MIZUYAMA, Y. “Effect of Grain Size and Solid Solution Strengthening Elements on the Bake Hardenability of Low Carbon Aluminum-killed Steel” Transactions ISIJ 24 17 23 1984
- WILSON, D. V. “Exploitation of Strain-ageing in Continously Annealed Steels” Scandinavian Journal of Metallurgy 359 370 1984
- WHITELEY, R. L. “The Importance of Direcionality in Drawing Quality Sheet Steel” Transactions of the ASM 52 154 163 1960
- WILSON, D. V. “Plastic Anisotropy in Sheet Metals” Journal of the Institute of Metals 94 84 93 1966
- METALS HANDBOOK “Properties and Selection for Metals” Ohio American Society for Metals 1978 978 9
- SWANSON ANALYSIS SYSTEMS, INC. “Strutural Nonlinearities” Houston: PA 1993
- TAKECHI, H. “Modern Cold Rolled Sheet Steels to the Automobile Industry” Palestra sobre Chapas de Aço Laminadas a Frio para a indústria automobilística 1 62 1995
- BUSCARLET, E. CAMBIEN, I. LORICH, L. LOCHON, M. GERARD, P. BASSANI, D. “Dent Resistance and Stiffness Improvement through a Partneship Approach to a New Material and Drawing Process” Conference of New Alternative Materials for the Automotive Industries Florence, Italy 1 - 5 June 1992 227 234