This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Wear Characteristics of a Roller Follower Variable Valve Timing System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study investigates the wear characteristics of a variable valve timing (VVT) system used to vary the phasing of the inlet valve events on a medium speed marine diesel engine.
The running-in properties of critical components within the system are examined.
The effect of surface finish and surface hardness upon wear is examined. It was found that in order to prevent excessive wear between the roller and tappet follower then the roller should be harder than the tappet. Tappet and roller hardness values of 60 and 70 Rockwell Hardness ‘C’ (HRC) respectively were found to be satisfactory.
CitationLeonard, H., Stone, C., and Donaldson, C., "Wear Characteristics of a Roller Follower Variable Valve Timing System," SAE Technical Paper 952100, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/952100.
- Stone, C.R. Charlton, S.J. Leonard, H.J ‘A study of applying Variable Valve Timing to Highly Rated Marine Diesel Engines’ Trans IDGTE 470 1992
- Davies, D. Leonard, H.J. Stone, C.R. Charlton, S.J. ‘Measuring the Unsteady Bi-Directional Flow in the Inlet Port of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine’ Institution of Mechanical Engineers Seminar on Experimental Methods in Engine Research and Development 1991
- Leonard, H.J. Stone, C.R. Charlton, S.J Johnston, D.N. Newman, M.J. Elliot, C. ‘Design and Analysis of a Roller Follower Valve Timing System’ SAE International Congress Detroit March 1-5 1993 SAE 930825
- Roylance, B.J. ‘Running-in Wear Behaviour of Valve Train Systems’ Paper VI(iii), 1991 Leeds-Lvon Svmposium
- Kocanda, S. ‘Fatigue Failure of Metals’ Sijthoff and Noordhoff 1978
- Stolarski, T.A. ‘Probability of scuffing in lubricated contacts’ Proc. I Mech E 203 361 369
- Greenwod, J.A. Williamson, J.B.P. ‘Contact of nominally flat surfaces’ Proc. R. Soc. 295 300 319 1966