This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of a Low Emissions Concept on a 50cc 2-Stroke Scooter Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A preliminary test bed evaluation of a potentially simple and low cost stratified charging concept is presented for small capacity 2-stroke scooter engines. The end development objectives of the concept are to reduce engine out hydrocarbon emissions and to improve fuel economy while providing engine fuelling by a simple carburettor type fuel metering device. Such a concept, when combined with a catalyst, could achieve significant vehicle emissions reductions with potentially improved catalyst durability.
The results presented in this paper, from a preliminary test bed evaluation of the stratified charging concept using electronic fuel injection to provide the fuelling, have shown that engine out hydrocarbon emissions can be effectively reduced at medium to high load without a loss in wide open throttle torque.
CitationGlover, S. and Mason, B., "Evaluation of a Low Emissions Concept on a 50cc 2-Stroke Scooter Engine," SAE Technical Paper 951783, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951783.
- Blair G.P “The Basic Design of Two Stroke Engines” Society of Automotive Engineers, INC Warrendale, PA 1989
- Laimbock F.J “ The Potential of Small Loop-Scavenged Spark-Ignition Single Cylinder Two-Stroke Engines ” SAE 1991
- Mikulic L Lenz H.P “Catalytic Exhaust Treatment for Small Two Stroke Spark Ignition Engines” SAE 845083 1984
- Engler B.H Koberstein E Plotzke U “Catalytic Emissions Control for Two-Stroke Engines Used in Small Motorcycles ” SAE 891271 1989
- Mooney J.J Hansel J.G Hoyer R.D “Catalytic Control of Two-Stroke motorcycle Exhaust Emissions ” SAE 750910 1975
- Honda Giken Kogyo Kabushi Kaisha “Combustion Controller for a Spark Ignition Type Two Cycle Engine ” 28 06 94
- Cameron K “Honda New Wave Combustion EXP-2 ” Cycle World 68 72 Feb 1995
- Noguchi M Tanaka Y Tanaka T Takeuchi Y “A Study on Gasoline Engine Combustion by Observation of Intermediate Reactive Products During Combustion” SAE 790840 1979.
- Onishi S Hong Jo S Shoda K Do Jo P Kato S “Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) - A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines” SAE 790501 1979
- Leighton S Cebis M Southern M Ahern S Horner L “The OCP Small Engine Fuel Injection System for Future Two-Stroke Marine Engines” SAE 941687 Warrendale, PA 1994
- Leighton S Ahern S Southern M.P Cebis M.J “The Orbital Combustion Process for Future Small Two-Stroke Engines” Institute Francais du Petrol International Seminar: A New Generation of Two-Stroke Engines for the future Rueil Malmaison, France 1993
- Leighton S Ahern S “The Orbital Small Engine Fuel Injection System (SEFIS) for Direct Injected Two-Stroke Cycle Engines” 5th Graz Two Wheeler Symposium 28 38 Graz 1993
- Duret P Moreau J.F “Reduction of pollutant Emissions of the IAPAC Two-Stroke engine with Compressed Air Assisted Fuel Injection” SAE 900801 1990
- Glover S. Duret P “The ROTAPAC Fuel Injection Concept for Low Emissions 2-Stroke Engine” SETC Small Engine Conference 1 91 102 Pisa 1993
- Duret P “The Key points for the Development of an Automotive Spark Ignition Two-Stroke Engine” I.MECH.E C389/278 1992
- Monnier G Duret P Pardini R Nuti M “IAPAC Two-Stroke Engine for High Efficiency Low Emissions Scooters” SETC small Engine Conference 1 71 80 Pisa 1993
- Landfahrer K Plohberger D Alten H Mikulic L “Thermodynamic Analysis and Optimisation of Two-Stroke Gasoline Engines” SAE 890415 1989
- Plohberger D Mikulic L Landfahrer K “Development of a Fuel Injected Two-Stroke Gasoline Engine” SAE 880170 1988
- Nuti M “Direct Fuel Injection: Piaggio Approach to Small 2T SI Engines” SAE 880172 1988
- Sato T Nakayama M “Gasoline Direct Injection for a Loop-Scavenged Two-Stroke Cycle Engine” SAE 871690 1987
- Heimburg W “Ficht Pressure Surge Injection System” SETC Small Engine Conference 1 245 261 Pisa 1993
- Press Release “Brunswick Corporation's Mercury Marine Division and Orbital Engine Company LTD. Form Clean Engine Joint Venture” 20th January 1995
- Press Release “Brunswick and Orbital Form Clean Engine Joint venture” 20 th January 1995
- Blair G.P Hill B.W Miller A.J Nickell S.P “Reduction of fuel Consumption of a Spark Ignition Two Stroke Cycle Engine” SAE 830093 1983
- Hill B.W Blair P “Further Tests on Reducing Fuel Consumption with a Carburetted Two-Stroke Cycle Engine” SAE 831303 1983
- Magee S.J Douglas R Blair P Cressard J.P “Reduction of Fuel Consumption and Emissions for a Small Capacity Two-Stroke Cycle Engine” SETC Small Engine Conference 1 517 526 Pisa 1993
- Douglas R ‘AFR and Emissions Calculations for Two-Stroke Cycle Engines’ SAE 901599 1990