This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Four-Phase Switch Reluctance Machines for More Electric Aircraft Power Generation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The development of the more electric aircraft is in progress. An important part of more electric aircraft concept is the integral starter/generator (ISG) mounted on the shaft of the jet engine. The prime candidate technology for the ISG is a system based on the switched reluctance motor (SRM). Switched reluctance technology has been chosen for this application because the a single failure does not lead to a complete loss of electrical power. In fact, each phase of the SRM is essentially independent of every other phase. Thus it is possible to be able to loose a single phase as a result of a fault and still remain operational with all of the other phases. This characteristic of the SRM has been referred to as fault tolerance and it is a very important characteristic when there is only one generator per engine. Though the SRM is fundamentally capable of this kind of operation, the resulting power quality with a single phase fault is a concern as is the size and weight of the EMI filter required to achieve the desired power quality. This paper presents calculated power quality and EMI filter sizing results for faulted phase operation of three different SRM machines. The machines are the two phase, the three phase, and the four phase SRM. It is found, to meet Mil. Std. 704E with a single phase fault, that the four phase SRM requires an EMI filter that is substantially smaller and lighter than for any of the other SRMs considered.
|Technical Paper||A Detailed Power Inverter Design for a 250 kW Switched Reluctance Aircraft Engine Starter/Generator|
|Technical Paper||Initial Testing of a 250 KW Starter/Generator for Aircraft Applications|
|Aerospace Standard||Test Cell Instrumentation|
CitationRadun, A., Cathey, J., Pais, M., Durkin, E. et al., "Four-Phase Switch Reluctance Machines for More Electric Aircraft Power Generation," SAE Technical Paper 951453, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951453.
- Richter E. “Application Considerations for Integral Gas Turbine Starter/Generator Revisited,” SAE Paper 892252 Aerospace Technology Conference and Exposition Anaheim, CA Sept 1989 Aerospace Atlantic Dayton, OH 1990
- Richter E. “Switched Reluctance Machines For High Performance Operation In A Harsh Environment, A Review Paper,” Invited Paper at the International Conference on Electrical Machines (ICEM) 90 Boston, MA 1990
- Stephens C. M. “Fault Detection And Management System For Fault Tolerant Switched Reluctance Motor Drives,” Conf. Record IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting Sept. 1989 574 578
- MacMinn S. R. Jones W. D. “A Very High Speed Switched Reluctance Starter-Generator For Aircraft Engine Applications,” Proc. NAECON 89 Dayton, OH May 22-26 1989
- Radun, A. V. Richter, E. “A Detailed Power Inverter Design For A 250kW Switched Reluctance Aircraft Engine Starter/Generator,” 1993 SAE Aerospace Atlantic Conference and Exposition Paper No. 931388 April 20-23 1993 Dayton, Ohio
- Radun, A. V. Lyons, J. P. Rulison J. Sanza, P. Richter, E. “Dynamic Testing of a High Power Inverter 250kW Switched Reluctance Machine Starter/Generator,” 1994 SAE Aerospace Atlantic Conference and Exposition Paper No. 941162 April 18-22 1994 Dayton, Ohio
- Richter, E. Ferreira, C. Lyons, J. P. Radun, A. V. Ruckstader, E. “Initial Testing of a 250kW Starter/Generator for Aircraft Applications,” 1994 SAE Aerospace Atlantic Conference and Exposition Paper No. 941160 April 18-22 1994 Dayton, Ohio
- Radun, A. V. “Generating with the Switched Reluctance Motor,” Proc. APEC 94 Orlando, FL Feb. 13-17 1994
- Richter, E. Anderson, R. E. Severt, C. “The Integral Starter/Generator Development Progress,” 1994 SAE Aerospace Atlantic Conference and Exposition Paper No. 920967 April 7-10 1992 Dayton, Ohio
- Cathey, J. J. Chickamenahalli, S. A. Bhuiya, R. R. “A Novel Unidirectional Switched Reluctance Machine,” 1993 Aerospace Atlantic conference April 1993
- Deshpande, U. S. Cathey, J. J. Richter, E. “A High Force Density Switched Reluctance Machine,” Proc. IEEE-IAS Annual Meeting Oct. 1993