This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
SAE and ISO Noise Test Site Variability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 1, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Cooperative Research Project has established good correlation between pass-by noise data measured on U.S. test tracks conforming to SAE Sealed (sealed asphalt) and International Standards Organization (ISO) surface specifications. Although the ISO surface has a very specific track composition, it does not reduce the variability of the measurements over an SAE Sealed surface. This paper summarizes the project results and determines that the SAE Sealed surface generally produces slightly louder noise levels than a comparable ISO surface when used for pass-by testing; however, the SAE Sealed surface does not represent a consistent upper boundary for the ISO test data. The data supports the use of either track surface for pass-by procedures and suggests that road texture can influence the tire component of vehicle noise. Although the ISO surface has become the requirement for noise regulations in Europe, development work can be completed on the existing sealed test surfaces.
CitationSchumacher, R., Phaneuf, K., and Haley, W., "SAE and ISO Noise Test Site Variability," SAE Technical Paper 951361, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951361.
- SAE J1470, “Measurement of Noise Emitted by Accelerating Highway Vehicles”
- SAE J986, “Sound Level for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks”
- SAE J366, “Exterior Sound Level for Heavy Trucks and Buses”
- US Environmental Protection Agency Title 40, CFR, Chapter 1, Part 205 “Noise Emission Standard for New Medium and Heavy Duty Trucks”, November 1979
- ISO 10844, “Acoustics - Test Surfaces for Road Vehicle Noise Measurements”
- Donavan P. R., “Tire-Pavement Interaction Noise Measurement under Vehicle Operating Conditions of Cruise and Acceleration”, Noise and Vibration Conference, May 1993
- Rimondi G., “Tyre Contribution to External Noise”, 14th International Vienna Motor Symposium 1993
- Sanberg U., “Standardization of Test Track Surface For Use During Vehicle Noise Testing”, Noise and Vibration Conference, May 1991
- SAE Cooperative Research Report “SAE and ISO Noise Test Site Variability”, March 1995