This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Periodic Response of Nonlinear Engine Mounting Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new semi-analytical framework for the study of passive or active engine mounting systems is presented. It recognizes that most practical problems incorporate a nonlinear mount or isolation element and the resulting physical system, consisting of the engine, mount and flexible base, involves many degrees of freedom. Unlike linear systems, sinusoidal excitation produces a periodic response, including super- and sub- harmonics. Two example case systems are employed to illustrate key concepts of the framework. The first numerical example case involves a passive hydraulic engine mount with an inertia track. The second example case is a novel experimental system that has been developed to study active and passive, nonlinear mounting problems. New analytical and experimental results are presented and various nonlinear phenomena are considered. The impact of nonlinearity on vibratory power transmission and active control is also investigated. Further development of the proposed framework is expected to yield an efficient and useful tool for the analysis of passive, semi-active and active mounts for engines and other comparable machines.
|Technical Paper||Study of Nonlinear Hydraulic Engine Mounts Focusing on Decoupler Modeling and Design|
|Technical Paper||Active Frame Vibration Control for Automotive Vehicles with Hydraulic Engine Mounts|
CitationRoyston, T. and Singh, R., "Periodic Response of Nonlinear Engine Mounting Systems," SAE Technical Paper 951297, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951297.
- Singh R. Kim G. Ravindra P.V. 1992 Journal of Sound and Vibration 158 219 43 Linear Analysis of Automotive Hydro-Mechanical Mount with Emphasis on Decoupler Characteristics
- Kim G. Singh R. 1993 ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 115 482 7 Nonlinear Analysis of Automotive Hydraulic Engine Mount
- Kim G. Singh R. 1992 Proceedings of the third ASME Symposium on Transportation Systems Anaheim, Ca. Resonance, Isolation and Shock Control Characteristics of Automotive Nonlinear Hydraulic Engine Mounts
- Kim G. Singh R. 1993 Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper No. 932897 Engine Vibration Control Using Passive, Active, and Adaptive Hydraulic Mount Systems
- Kim G. Singh R. 1995 Journal of Sound and Vibration 179 427 53 A Study of Passive and Adaptive Hydraulic Engine Mount Systems With Emphasis on Nonlinear Characteristics
- Graf P. L. Shoureshi R. 1988 ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control 110 422 9 Modeling and Implementation of Semi-Active Hydraulic Engine Mounts
- Seto K. Sawatari K. Nagamatsu A. Ishihama M. Doi K. 1991 Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper No. 911055 Optimum Design Method For Hydraulic Engine Mounts
- Ushijima T. Takano K Kojima H. 1988 Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Paper No. 880073 High Performance Hydraulic Mount for Improving Vehicle Noise and Vibration
- Corcoran P. E. Ticks G.-H. 1984 Society of Automotive Engineers Paper No. 840407 Hydraulic Engine Mount Characteristics
- Royston T. J. Singh R. 1994 Journal of Sound and Vibration Periodic Response of a Nonlinear, Multi-dimensional Vibration Mounting System by an Enhanced Galerkin Technique
- Nayfeh A. H. Mook D. T. 1979 Nonlinear Oscillations New York John Wiley
- Gelb A. Van der Velde W. E. 1968 Multiple Input Describing Functions and Nonlinear System Design New York McGraw Hill
- Fletcher C. A. J. 1984 Computational Galerkin Methods New York Springer Verlag
- Jean A. N. Nelson H. D. 1990 Journal of Sound and Vibration 143 473 89 Periodic Response Investigation of Large Order Non-Linear Rotordynamic Systems Using Collocation
- Nataraj C. Nelson H. D. 1989 Journal of Sound and Vibration 111 187 93 Period Solutions in Rotor Dynamic Systems With Nonlinear Supports: A General Approach
- Rook T. E. Singh R. 1995 Journal of Sound and Vibration Nonlinear Dynamic Analysis of A Reverse-Idler Gear Pair
- Cheung Y. K. Chen S. H. Lau S. L. 1990 Journal of Sound and Vibration 140 273 86 Application of the Incremental Harmonic Balance Method to Cubic Non-Linearity Systems
- Cameron T. M. Griffin J. H. 1989 Journal of Applied Mechanics 56 149 54 An Alternating Frequency/Time domain Method for Calculating the Steady-State Response of Nonlinear Dynamic Systems
- Urabe M. Reiter A. 1966 Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 14 107 40 Numerical Computation of Nonlinear Forced Oscillations by Galerkin's Procedure
- Pinnington R.J. White R.J. 1981 Journal of Sound and Vibration 75 179 197 Power Flow Through Machine Isolators to Resonant and Non-Resonant Beams
- Mathworks, Inc 1994 Simulink Toolbox Reference Guide Natick, Mass.
- Royston T. J. Singh R. 1995 Journal of Sound and Vibration Measurement of Periodic Response in a Mechanical System Containing a Local Nonlinearity
- Digisonix Commercial and Industrial Systems 1992 dx-57 Digital Sound and Vibration Controller Installation, Operation, and Maintenance Manual Digisonix Division, Nelson Industries, Inc.