This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Damping Material at Higher Frequencies with Application to Automotive Systems Including Brakes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Many discrete tonal type noise and vibration problems in automotive systems and other physical structures require passive multi-layer visco-elastic damping treatments in mid to high frequency regimes. To address such issues, experimental modal analysis and dynamic finite element methods are suggested as suitable tools. Results are presented in terms of several test structures (four thin elastic beams, a thick elastic plate and an automotive brake pad) with free-free boundary conditions. Composite modal loss factors are measured and predicted for two different damping insulators consisting of adhesive, steel and coating combinations. Special attention is paid to the elastic deformation modes of test structures and spectral scaling of material properties for the finite element models.
CitationSingh, R., Kung, S., Sheikh, A., Mitchell, M. et al., "Evaluation of Damping Material at Higher Frequencies with Application to Automotive Systems Including Brakes," SAE Technical Paper 951243, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951243.
- Cremer L. Heckl M. Ungar E.E. Structure-Borne Sound second Springer-Verlag 1988
- Beranek L.L. Noise and Vibration Control. Chapter 14 Damping of Panels by E.E. Ungar Institute of Noise Control Engineering 1988
- Nashif A.D. Jones D.I.G. Henderson J.P. Vibration Damping John Wiley 1985
- Ewins D.J. Modal Testing: Theory and Practice John Wiley 1984
- Standard Method for Measuring Vibration-Damping Properties of Materials 1983
- Chahine J. Saha P. SAE Paper No. 920406 “Rationale for a Standardized Vibration Damping Test Procedure for Automotive Application,” 1992
- Saha P. Chahine J. SAE Paper No. 931320 “The Thought and Reasoning Behind Developing SAE 1637 Vibration Test Method,” Proceeding of 1993 Noise and Vibration Conference SAE P264 449 462
- SAE Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, J1637 Laboratory Measurement of the Composite Vibration Damping Properties of Materials on a Supporting Steel Bar 1993
- Hoffmann M. Kutter-Schrader H. SAE Paper No. 931268 “Damping Measurement of Sound Insulating Layers of Thin Sheet Metal Sheets,” Proceedings of the 1993 Noise and Vibration Conference SAE P264 33 41
- Singh R. et al. “Evaluation of Brake Pad Insulators by Using Modal and Beam Methods and Their Correlation with Dynamometer Tests,” 12th Annual SAE Brake Colloquium Atlanta Oct 1994
- ABAQUS User's Manual Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc. 1989