This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reduced Vibration Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this report, a practical finite element design method is developed for metal/polymer/metal laminates. An analysis is presented which will predict the damping characteristics of laminated structures. Predictions of natural frequencies, loss factors, and frequency responses are compared to experimental data and closed form solutions. The analysis is then used to show a reduced vibration response with the laminated design as compared to a metal design. With the methods presented here, components may be designed which reduce vibrations, noise, and fatigue wear by means of a practical finite element approach. Vibration problems are avoided, allowing other specifications, such as weight or tooling concerns, to be used to size the component.
|Technical Paper||Contribution for elastomeric bushing development for the lower control arm of a compact vehicle|
|Technical Paper||Bearing Noise Reduction|
|Technical Paper||Misalignment Problems in Cylindrical Roller Bearings|
CitationMignery, L., "Reduced Vibration Design," SAE Technical Paper 951242, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951242.
- Drake, M.L., Vibration Damping Short Course, University of Dayton Research Institute, 1993.
- Nashif, A.D., Jones, D.I.G., Henderson, J.P., Vibration Damping, John Wiley & Sons, New York (1985).
- Johnson, C.D., Klenholz, D.A., and Rogers, L.C., Finite Element Prediction of Damping in Beams with Constrained Viscoelastic Layers, Shock Vib. Bull, 51,71-80 (1981).
- Rikards, R., Chate, A., and Barkanov, E., Finite Element Analysis of Damping Vibrations of Laminated Composites, Computers & Structures, 47, n6, 1005-1015 (1993).
- Pre Finish Metals, Characterization of PCX-1 and PCX-9 Core Materials, unpublished data, (1993).
- Ross D., Ungar E.E., and Kerwin E.M., Jr., “Damping of plate flexural vibrations by means of viscoelastic laminate,” Structural Damping, ASME, New York, 1959.
- Lu, Y.P., Killian, J.W., and Everstine, G.C., Vibrations of Three Layered Damped Sandwich Plate Composites, J. Sound Vibr., 64, 63-71 (1979).
- Lu, Y.P., Killian, J.W., and Everstine, G.C., A Finite Element Modeling Approximations for Damping Material Used in Constrained Damped Structures, J. Sound Vibr., 97, 352-354, (1984).
- Pre Finish Metals, Modal Testing of Laminated Plates, unpublished data, (1995).
- Mortenson, M.E., Geometric Modeling, John Wiley & Sons, New York (1985).
- Zsirai, F., General Motors Powertrain Engineering, personal communication, 1994.