This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Engine Knock Control Via Optimization of Sensor Location
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a procedure used to aid in the control of IC engine knock, an autoignition phenomenon that results in customer annoyance, loss of power, and potential engine damage. Since a control system can only function as well as the signal it is provided, input signal optimization is critical to the robustness of the system. Optimization of the input signal starts with a properly located physical transducer on the engine block. The locating process begins with laser holometry to evaluate compliant regions of the block. Holographic data, block vibration spectra and empirical engine data are then used to identify the most promising sensor locations. These locations are then verified with a broadband accelerometer mounted on a dynamometer engine. This process allows the highest available signal to noise locations to be found in a systematic and efficient manner.
CitationForbes, J., Carlstrom, K., and Graessley, W., "Engine Knock Control Via Optimization of Sensor Location," SAE Technical Paper 951237, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951237.
- Chun K.M. Heywood J.B. “Characterization of knock in a spark-ignition engine,” SAE Paper 890156 1989
- Priede T. Dutkiewicz R. K. “The effect of normal combustion and knock on gasoline engine noise,” SAE Paper 891126 1989
- Puzinauskas P.V. “Examination of methods used to characterize engine knock,” SAE Paper 920808 1992
- Obert E. F. “Internal combustion engines and air pollution,” Harper & Row New York 1973 107
- Hickling R. Feldmaier D. A. Chen F. H. K. Morel J. S. “Cavity resonances in engine combustion chambers and some applications,” J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 73 4 1170 1178 April 1983
- Brown G. M. Wales R. R. “Vibration analysis of automotive structures using holographic interferometry,” Proc. SPIE 398 19 22 1983
- Brown G. M. Forbes J. W. Marchi M. M. Wales R. R. “Comparison of holographic interferometry to other test methods in automotive testing,” SPIE 2004 1993