This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of Active and Passive Suspensions Based on a Full Car Model
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An optimal control design method is introduced and then applied to the optimum design of active and passive suspension systems. A basic three-dimensional 7-DOF car riding model is considered. The method allows the arbitrary choice of sensors for various state variables to be used for feedback control of each suspension unit. Fully-active, limited-active, passive, and two versions of semi-active systems are studied and compared.
The results indicate that the dominant feedback gains that have the most impact on the suspension performance measures are those which are proportional to locally measured signals. Also, when no tire deflection measurements are available there may be a complete coincidence between the behaviour of active systems that use different sets of measured variables.
CitationElBeheiry, E. and Karnopp, D., "Optimization of Active and Passive Suspensions Based on a Full Car Model," SAE Technical Paper 951063, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951063.
New Developments in Vehicle Dynamics, Simulation, and Suspension Systems
Number: SP-1074; Published: 1995-02-01
Number: SP-1074; Published: 1995-02-01
- Abdel Hady, M. B. A. Crolla, D. A. 1992 “Active Suspension Control Algorithms for a Four-Wheel Vehicle Model” Int. J. Veh. Des. 13 2 pp 144 158
- Barak, P. Sachs, H. K. 1985 “On the Optimum Ride Control of a Dynamic Model for an Automotive Vehicle System” Veh. Sys. Dyn. Vol. 14 pp 196 200
- Barak, P. Hrovat, D. 1988 “Application of the LQG Approach to Design of an Automotive Suspension for Three-Dimensional Vehicle Models” I.Mech.E. Conference on “Advanced Suspensions”, Paper C421/88 pp 11 26
- Chalasani, R. M. 1986 “Ride Performance Potential of Active Suspension Systems- Part II: Comprehensive Analysis Based on a Full-Car Model” Proc. of Symp. on“Simulation and Control of Ground Vehicles and Transportation Systems” ASME AMD-Vol. 80 DSC-Vol. 2 Winter Annual Meeting Dec.,pp 205 234
- ElBeheiry, E. M. Karnopp, D. C. ElAraby, M. E. Abdel Raaouf, A. M. 1994 “Advanced Ground Vehicle Suspension Systems- A Classified Bibliography” Vehicle System Dynamics In press
- ElBeheiry, E. M. Karnopp, D. C. 1994 “Optimal Control of Vehicle Random Vibration With Constrained Suspension Deflection” J. Sound & Vibration In press
- ElBeheiry, E. M. 1994 “Optimal Control Design of Road Vehicle Suspension Systems” A Current Ph. D. Dissertation work Menoufia University Shiben El-Kom, Egypt
- Fruhauf, F. Kasper, R. Lucker, J. 1985 “Design of an Active Suspension For a Passenger Vehicle Model Using Input Processes With Time Delays” Proc. 9th IAVSD Symp. on “Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and on Railways Tracks” pp 126 136
- Hoskins, W. D. Meek, D. S. Walton, D. J. 1977 “The numerical solution of A T X + XA = -C ” IEEE Trans. AC-22 882 883
- Karnopp, D. C Crosby, M. J. Harwood, R. A. 1974 “Vibration Control Using Semi-Active Force Generators” Trans. ASME, J. Eng. for Industry pp. 619 626
- Karnopp, D. C. Allan, R. 1975 “Semi-Active Control of Multimode Vibratory Systems Using the ILSM Concept” Trans. ASME, J. Eng. for Industry Vol. 48 Ser. B. No. 3 pp 914 918
- Ko, Y. Oh, T. 1994 “Motion Control of The Vehicle With an Active Suspension System” SAE Paper No. 940865
- Kosut, R. B. 1970 “Suboptimal Control of Linear Time-Invariant Systems Subject to Control Structure Constraints” IEEE Trans. AC-15 pp 557 563
- Kwakemaak, H. Siven, K. 1972 “Linear Optimal Control Systems” John Wiley & Sons New York
- Malek, K. M. Hedrick, J. K. 1986 “Decoupled Active Suspension For Improved Automotive Ride Quality and Handling Performance” Suppl. to Veh. Sys. Dyn. Vol. 15 pp. 383 398
- Press, W. H. Teukolsky, S. A. Vetterling, W. T. Flannery, B. P. 1992 “Numerical Recipes in FORTRAN” Cambridge University Press England
- Pywell, J. F. 1993 “Measuring Seat Comfort” Automotive Engineering July 1993
- Rill, G. 1988 “The Influence of Correlated Random Excitation Processes on Dynamics of Vehicles” Proc. 8th IAVSD-Symp. on “Dynamics of Vehicles on Roads and on Railway tracks” pp 449 459
- Schiehlen, W. O. 1988 “Modeling, Analysis and Estimation of Vehicle Systems” In “Analysis and Estimation of Stochastic Mechanical Systems” (Eds. Schiehlen W. O. Wedig W. ) Springer- Verlag Vienna pp 243 267
- Sinha, P. K. Wormley, D. N. Hedrick, J. K. 1978 “Rail Passenger Vehicle Lateral Dynamic Performance Improvement Through Active Control” Trans. ASME, J. Dyn. Sys. Meas., and Cont. Vol. 100 No. 4 pp. 270 283