This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Swirl and Spark Plug Shape on Combustion Characteristic in a High Speed Single-Shot Visualized SI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effects of swirl on early flame development and late combustion characteristic were investigated using a high-speed single-shot visualized SI engine. LDV measurements were performed to obtain a better understanding of the flow field in this combustion chamber. Spark plugs were located at half-radius (R/2) and center of bore. High-speed Schlieren photographs at 20,000, frames/sec were taken to visualize the detailed formation and development of the flame kernel with cylinder pressure measurements.
This study showed that high swirl favorably affected combustion-related performances in terms of the maximum cylinder pressure and flame growth rate regardless of spark position. However, at R/2 ignition the low swirl showed desirable effects at low engine speed, and degraded performance as engine speed increased than without swirl. The effects of spark plug shapes and rotations on combustion performances at R/2 ignition and swirl were found.
CitationKim, S. and Kim, S., "Effects of Swirl and Spark Plug Shape on Combustion Characteristic in a High Speed Single-Shot Visualized SI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 951003, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/951003.
- Witze, P. O. Hall, M. J. Bennett, M. J. Cycle-Resolved Measurements of Flame Kernel Growth and Motion Con-elated with Combustion Duration SAE Paper 900023 1990
- Hall, M. J. The Influence of Fluid Motion on Flame Kernel Development and Cyclic Variation in a Spark Ignition Engine SAE Paper 890991 1989
- Swords, M. D. Kalghatgi, G. T. Watts, A. J. An Experimental Study of Ignition and Flame Development in a Spark Ignited Engine SAE Trans. 91 821220 1982 3826
- Herweg, R. Begleris, Ph. Zettlitz, A. Ziegler, G. F. W. Flow Field Effects on Flame Kernel Formation in a Spark-Ignition Engine SAE Paper 881639 1988
- Ho, C. M. Santavicca, D. A. Turbulence Effects on Early Flame Kernel Growth SAE Paper 872100 1987
- Herweg, R. Ziegler, G. F. W. Flame Kernel Formation in a Spark-Ignition Engine International Symposium COMODIA 90 1990 173
- Liou, T. M. Hall, M. Santavicca, D. A. Bracco, F. V. Laser Doppler Velocimetry Measurements in Valved and Ported Engines SAE Paper 840375 1984
- Liou, T. M. Santavicca, D. A. Cycle Resolved Turbulence Measurements in a Ported Engine with and without Swirl SAE Paper 830419 1983
- Kent, J. C. Mikulec, A. Rimai, L. Adamczyk, A. A. Mueller, S. R. Stein, R. A. Warren, C. C. Observation on the Effects of Intake Generated Swirl and Tumble on Combustion Duration SAE Paper 892096 1986
- Davis, G. C. Mikulec, A. Kent, J. C. Tabaczynski, R. J. Modeling the Effect of Swirl on Turbulence Intensity and Burn Rate in S.I. Engines and Comparison with Experiment SAE Trans. 95 860325 1986 427
- Kumar, S. Ahary, M. Lambe, S. M. Watson, H. C. Flame Propagation in a High Speed Variable Swirl Spark Ignition Engine IMechE, C61/88 1988 43
- Hamamoto, Y. Tomita, E. Tanaka, Y. Katayama, T. Tamura, Y. The Effect of Swirl on Spark-Ignition Engine Combustion JSME Int. J. 30 270 1987 1995
- Witze, P. O. Vilchis, F. R. Stroboscopic Laser Shadowgraph Study of the Effect of Swirl on Homogeneous Combustion in a Spark Ignition Engine SAE Paper 810226 1981
- Witze, P. O. The Effect of Spark Location on Combustion in a Variable-Swirl Engine SAE Paper 820044 1982
- Bracco, F. V. Structure of Flames in Premixed-Charge IC Engines Combust. Sci. and Tech. 58 1988 209
- Kuroda, H. Nakajima, J. Sugihara, K. Takagi, Y. Muranaka, S. The Fast Burn with Heavy EGR, New Approach for Low NOx and Improved Fuel Economy SAE Paper 780006 1978