This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment of Thin Thermal Barrier Coatings for I.C. Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper investigates theoretically the effects of heat transfer characteristics, such as crank-angle phasing and wall temperature swings, on the thermodynamic efficiency of an IC engine. The objective is to illustrate the fundamental physical basis of applying thin thermal barrier coatings to improve the performance of military and commercial IC engines. A simple model illustrates how the thermal impedance and thickness of coatings can be manipulated to control heat transfer and limit the high temperatures in engine components. A friction model is also included to estimate the overall improvement in engine efficiency by the proper selection of coating thickness and material.
CitationWong, V., Bauer, W., Kamo, R., Bryzik, W. et al., "Assessment of Thin Thermal Barrier Coatings for I.C. Engines," SAE Technical Paper 950980, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/950980.
- Osawa, K., Kamo, R., and Valdmanis, E., “Performance of Thin Thermal Barrier Coating on Small Aluminum Block Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 910461, 1991.
- Assanis, D., Wiese, K., Schwarz E., Bryzik, W., “The Effects of Ceramic Coatings on Diesel Engine Performance and Exhaust Emissions,” SAE Paper 910460, 1991.
- Assanis, D. and Mathur, T., “The Effect of Thin Ceramic Coatings on Spark-Ignition Engine Performance,” SAE Paper 900903, 1990.
- Woshni, G., Spindler, W., Kolesa, K., “Heat Insulation of Combustion Chamber Walls - A Measure to Decrease the Fuel Consumption of I.C. Engines?” SAE Paper 870339, 1987.
- Jackson, N.S., Pilley, A.D., Owen, N.J., “Instantaneous Heat Transfer in a Highly Rated DI Truck Engine,” SAE Paper 900692, 1990.
- Cheng, W., Wong, V.W., Gao, F., “Heat Transfer Measurement Comparisons in Insulated and Non-Insulated Diesel Engines,” SAE 890570, 1989.
- Morel, T., Wahiduzzaman, S., Fort, E., Tree, D., Dewitt, D., Kreider, K., “Heat Transfer in a Cooled and an Insulated Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 890572, 1989.
- Boulouchos, K., Eberle, M., Ineichen, B., Klukowski, C., “New Insights into the Mechanisms of In-Cylinder Heat Transfer in Diesel Engines,” Paper 890573, 1989.
- Morel, T., Wahiduzzaman, S., Fort, E., “Heat Transfer Experiments in an Insulated Engine,” SAE Paper 880186, 1988.
- Furuhama, S., Enomoto, Y., “Heat Transfer into Combustion Chamber Wall of Internal Combustion Engine,” SAE Paper 870153, 1987.
- Morel, T., Wahiduzzaman, S., Tree, D., Dewitt, D., “Effects of Speed, Load, and Location on Heat Transfer in a Diesel Engine - Measurements and Predictions,” SAE Paper 870154, 1987.
- Huang, J., Borman, G., “Measurements of Instantaneous Heat Flux to Metal and Ceramic Surfaces in a Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 870155, 1987.
- Hoag, K., “Measurement and Analysis of the Effect of Wall Temperature on Instantaneous Heat Flux,” SAE Paper 860312, 1986.
- Moore, C., Hoehne, J., “Combustion Chamber Insulation Effect on the Performance of a Low Heat Rejection Cummins V-903 Engine,” SAE Paper 860317, 1986.
- Assanis, D., Badillo, E., “Evaluation of Alternative Thermocouple Designs for Transient Heat Transfer Measurements in Metal and Ceramic Engines,” SAE Paper 890571, 1989.
- Jennings, M., Morel, T., “A Computational Study of Wall Temperature Effects on Engine Heat Transfer,” SAE Paper 910459, 1991.
- Yang, J., Martin, J., “Predictions of the Effects of High Temperature Walls, Combustion, and Knock on Heat Transfer in Engine-type Flows,” SAE Paper 900690, 1990.
- Kamo, R., Assanis, D., Bryzik, W., “Thin Thermal Barrier Coatings for Engines,” SAE Paper 890143, 1989.
- Assanis, D., Badillo, E., “Transient Analysis of Piston-Liner Heat Transfer in Low-Heat-Rejection Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper 880189, 1989.
- Miyairi, Y., “Computer Simulation of an LHR DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 880187.
- Assanis, D., Badillo, E., “Transient Heat Conduction in Low-Heat-Rejection-Combustion Chambers,” SAE Paper 870156, 1987.
- Morel, T., Keribar, R., “Heat Radiation in DI Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper 860445, 1986.
- Morel, T., Keribar, R., Blumberg, P., “Cyclical Thermal Phenomena in Engine Combustion Chamber Surfaces,” SAE Paper 850360, 1985.
- Kimura, S., Matsui, Y., Itoh, T., “Effects of Combustion Chamber Insulation on the Heat Rejection and Thermal Efficiency of Diesel Engines,” SAE 920543, 1992.
- Kamo, R., Assanis, D., “Thin Thermal Barrier Coatings for Engines,” ASME Paper 89-ICE-14, Presented at the ESTC Conference and Exhibition, Houston, Texas, January 1989.
- Assanis, D., Heywood, J., “Development and Use of a Computer Simulation of the Turbocompounded Diesel System for Engine Performance and Component Heat Transfer Studies,” SAE Paper 860329, 1986.
- Heywood, J., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals,” McGraw Hill, New York, NY, 1988.
- Wong, V., Tian, T., Lang, H., Ryan, J., Sekiya, Y., Kobayashi, Y., Aoyama, S., “A Numerical Model of Piston Secondary Motion and Piston Slap in Partially Flooded Elastohydrodynamic Skirt Lubrication,” SAE Paper 940696, 1994.
- Pinkus, O., “Thermal Aspects of Fluid Film Tribology,” ASME Press, New York, NY, 1990.