This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Deep Drawing of Rectangular Pans from Aluminum Alloy 2008-T4
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Deep drawing experiments using rectangular pans, made of aluminum alloys, have been conducted at the Engineering Research Center for Net Shape Manufacturing (ERC/NSM) at the Ohio State University. A 160 ton Minster hydraulic press was used for the experiments. A 3-D finite element code called PAM-STAMP was used in the simulations. The current study investigates the effect of blank holder force control and blank shape on the final product quality. In the hydraulic press, it was possible to control the blank holding force (BHF) as a function of time. By conducting experiments and simulations using three blank shapes and various BHF profiles, it has been shown that blank shape and the BHF have significant effect on the formability of aluminum alloy pans, and they must be optimized to eliminate wrinkling and fracture. A decreasing BHF profile was shown to be effective in improving part quality and practical for use in industrial applications.
CitationAhmetoglu, M., Broek, T., Kinzel, G., Altan, T. et al., "Deep Drawing of Rectangular Pans from Aluminum Alloy 2008-T4," SAE Technical Paper 950694, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/950694.
- Kawai, N., Mori, T., Hayashi, H., and Kondoh, F., 1987, “Effects of Punch Cross-Section on Deep Drawability of Square Shell of Aluminum Sheet”, Journal of Engineering for Industry, vol. 109, pp. 355-361.
- Sommer, N., 1986, “Blank Holder Force and Design of Blank Holders in Deep Drawing” (in German), Ph.D. Dissertation, IFUM, University of Hannover, Germany.
- Story, J.M., Jarvis, G.W., Zonker, H.R., and Murtha, S.J., 1993, “Issues and Trends in Automotive Aluminum Sheet Forming”, SAE Paper No. 930277, Sheet Metal and Stamping Symposium, International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan.
- Karima, M., Donatelli, V., 1989, “Understanding Blank Holder Effect on Formability of Sheet Metal Stampings”, SAE Paper No. 890347, SAE Annual Congress and Exposition, February - March, 1989
- Ahmetoglu, M. A., Coremans, A., Kinzel, G. L., and Altan, T., 1993, “Improving Drawability by using Variable Blank Holder Force and Pressure in Deep Drawing of Round and Non-Symmetric Parts”, SAE Paper No. 930287, Sheet Metal and Stamping Symposium, International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan.
- Siegert, K., 1993, “CNC Hydraulic Multipoint Blankholder System for Sheet Metal Forming Presses”, Annals of the CIRP, vol. 42/1, pp. 319-322.
- Doege, E., and Schulte, S., 1992, “Design of Deep Drawn Components with Elementary Calculation Methods”, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, vol. 34, pp. 439-447.
- Murata, A., Ebine, Y., and Matsui, M., 1992, “Effect of Blank Holding Force Control on Deep Drawability of Square Shell” (in Japanese), Journal of the JSTP, vol. 33, no. 375, pp. 411, 416.