This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of KMC 2.4L Lean Burn Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the development process and test results of the lean burn engine. LML (Lean Misfire Limit) extension and NOx emission reduction was realized in combination with the following factors. (1) Installing several types of SCV (Swirl Control Valve) with different section shapes and dividing wall in the intake port intensified the flow field inside combustion chamber, so optimized mixture formation and combustion improvement were obtained. (2) By precisely controlling injection timing, changing injection rate, thus obtaining locally stratified charging, LML was extended. (3) By intensifying ignition system, better combustion characteristics were achieved. (4) NOx emission was reduced by extending LML and adopting lean NOx catalyst (Cu-ZSM-5). By combining above factors, we extended LML to A/F 23. Therefore NOx emission was reduced 60.6%, fuel economy was improved 10.6% in engine dyno test. BY ECU mapping test, we fixed lean operating zone.
CitationYu, C., Kim, T., Yi, Y., Lee, J. et al., "Development of KMC 2.4L Lean Burn Engine," SAE Technical Paper 950685, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/950685.
- Kim Taehoon Noh Seokhong Yu Chulho Kang Insik “Optimization of Swirl and Tumble in KMC 2.4L Lean Burn Engine” SAE Paper 940307
- Okano H. “Development of Lean Burn Engines in Toyota” Lean Burn Gasoline Symposium 1992
- Iguchi S. “Combustion and Current Status of Lean burn Engine” Lean Burn Gasoline Engine Symposium 1992
- Muranaka S. “A Future Perspective of Low Fuel Consumption Automotive Gasoline Engines” Lean Burn Gasoline Engine Symposium 1992
- Nishizawa K. “HONDA VTEC-E Lean Burn Engine,” Lean Burn Gasoline Engine Symposium 1992
- Ando H. “MVV Engine by Barrel Stratification” Lean Burn Gasoline Engine Symposium 1992
- Urushihara Tomonori Murayama Taichi Lee Kihyung Takagi Yasuo “Turbulence and Cycle variation of Mean Velocity Generated by Swirl and Tumble Flow and Their Effects on Combustion” The 11th International Combustion Engine Symposium Japan 1993
- Han Bonghoon Suh Joowon Kim Wootae “Effect of In-cylinder Swirl on Part Load Performance and Combustion Characteristics in a S. I. Engine” SAE Paper 912468
- Ohm Inyoung Ahn Heeseok Lee Woojik Kim Wootae Park Simsoo Lee Daeun “Development of HMC Axially Stratified Lean Burn Combustion Engine” SAE Paper 930879
- Matsushita Souich Inoue Tokuta Nakanishi Kiyoshi Kato Kenji Kobayashi Nobuyuki “Development of the Toyota Lean Combustion System” SAE Paper 850044
- Tateo, Kume Omori Shogo Noma Kazutoshi Kojima Atsuyashi “Development of Four Valve, Center Spark Plug MVV Engine with Barrel Stratified Charge Lean Burn Concept” JSAE 1993
- Iguchi S. et al “The Effect of Inclination Angle of Swirl Axis on Turbulence Generation and Combustion Characteristics” 12th Int. Vienna Motor Symposium 1991