This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparative Analysis of Different Energy Absorbing Materials for Interior Head Impact
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Various foam models are developed using LS-DYNA3D and validated against experiments. Dynamic and static stress-strain relations are obtained experimentally for crushable and resilient foam materials and used as inputs to the finite element analyses. Comparisons of the results obtained from different foam models with test data show excellent correlations for all the cases studied.
CitationChou, C., Zhao, Y., Lim, G., Patel, R. et al., "Comparative Analysis of Different Energy Absorbing Materials for Interior Head Impact," SAE Technical Paper 950332, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/950332.
- McCullough, D.W., Pakulsky B.R. and Liddle J.W., “Polyurethane Foam for Automotive Knee Bolsters”, SAE Paper No. 920336.
- Rossio, R.C., Vecchio M.T. and Abramczyk J.E., “Polyurethane Energy Absorbing Foams for Automotive Applications”, SAE Paper No. 930433.
- Goldman, A. and Kurt L., “NVH Improvement with Two-Component Polyurethane Foam”, Automotive Body Interior & Safety Systems, Proceedings of the International Body Engineering Conference, Edited by Szefi R. J., 1994, pp. 23 - 27.
- Segal, D.J., “Side Impact Modelling Using Lumped Mass and CAL-3D CVS Simulations”, SAE Paper No. 840859.
- Wismans, J. and Wittebrood L.J.J., “The MADYMO Crash Victim Simulation Package and Its Application in Analyzing Thoraxes of Side Impact Dummies”, Proceedings of the Commission of the European Communities Seminar on the Biomechanics of Impacts in Road Accidents, Brussels, Belgium, March 21 - 23, 1983.
- Padgaonkar, A.J. and Prasad P., “A Mathematical Analysis of Side Impact Using the CAL-3D Simulation Model”, Proceedings of the 9th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles, Kyoto, Japan, 1982.
- Chen, Hung-Hsu and Guenther D.A., “Computer Simulation and Evaluation of Padding on the thorax in the Lateral Impact”, SAE Paper No. 88172.
- Hallquist, J.O., “LS-DYNA3D User's Manual”, Livermore Software Technology Corporation, April, 1994.
- PAM-CRASH User's Manual, Version 1994, Level 12.1, Pam System International, Oct. 1993.
- Bilkhu, S.S., Founas M. and Nusholtz G.S., “Material Modeling of Structural Foams in Finite Element Analysis Using Compressive Uniaxial and Triaxial Data”, SAE Paper No. 930434.
- Bilkhu, B.B., Founas M., Nusholtz G.S. and Bois P. Du, “Techniques for Numerical Modeling of Cellular Materials using Material Models #5, #10, #41 in LS-DYNA3D”, The second International LS-DYNA3D Conference held in San Francisco, September 20-21, 1994. Paper No. 2IL -SD3D104.
- Chang, F.S., Hallquist J.O., Lu D.X., Shahidi B.K., Kudelko C.M. and Tekelly J.P., “Finite Element Analysis of Low-Density High-Hysteresis Foam Materials and the Application in the Automotive Industry”, SAE Paper 940908.3
- Chang, F.S., Lu D.X., Shahidi B.K. and Hallquist J.O., “A Correlation and Validation Study of the Foam Material Model (57) of LS-DYNA3D”, The second International LS-DYNA3D Conference held in San Francisco, September 20 - 21, 1994. Paper No. 2IL-SD3D113.
- Chou, C.C., Zhao Y., Chai L., Co J., Lim G.G. and Lin T.L., “Development of Foam Models Using LS-DYNA3D”, The second International LS-DYNA3D Conference held in San Francisco, September 20 - 21 1994. Paper No. 2IL-SD3D125.
- LS-DYNA3D User's Manual (Version 920), Livermore Software Technology Corporation.
- Chou, C.C., Lim G.G., Sundararajan S., Low T.C., PrasadP. and Mitchell J.O., “Experimental Validation of Ellipsoid-to Foam Contact Model”, SAE Paper No. 940881.
- Sinha, S.C., Mitchell J.O., Lim G.G. and Chou C.C., “Constitutive Modeling of Energy Absorbing Foams”, SAE Paper No. 940880.
- Sherwood, J.A. and Frost C.C., “Constitutive Modeling and Simulation of Energy Absorbing Polyurethane Foam Under Impact Loading”, Polymer Engineering and Science, vol. 32, No. 16, Aug. 1992.
- Stupak, P.R. and Donovan J.A., “Geometry, Load Spreading, and Polymeric Foam Energy Absorber Design”, SAE Paper No. 920333.
- Sounik, D.F., McCullough D.W., Clemons J.L. and Liddle J.L., “Dynamic Impact Testing of Polyurethane Energy Absorbing (EA) Foams”, SAE Paper No.940879.
- Sundararajan, S., Chou C.C., Lim G.G., Amori R.T., Przybylo K.H. and Celentino M.F., “An Improved Dynamic Foam Test Procedure on the MONTEREY Facility”, Technical Report No. ASE-93-02, Alpha Simultaneous Engineering, Ford Motor Company, Feb. 1993.
- Chou, C.C. and Nyquist G.W., “Analytical Studies of the Head Injury Criterion (HIC)”, SAE Paper No. 740082.