This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
High-Speed/High-Resolution Imaging of Fuel Sprays from Various Injector Nozzles for Direct Injection Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 01, 1995 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A high-speed/high-resolution imaging technique and analysis were applied to study fuel injector spray timed evolution in ambient air and in a motored single-cylinder engine. Alcohol fuel was injected from a mid-pressure injection system into the engine cylinder at shaft speed of 1,000 rpm. The fuel injection system with various nozzles was designed for use in the EPA/NVFEL program to develop clean and efficient engines that use alternative fuels.
A 15W copper vapor laser with a fiber optic delivery system synchronized with a high-speed drum streak camera was utilized to expose films at 5,000 frames per second (fps). The spray characteristics were investigated at 15.0 MPa injection pressure and injection duration range of 3-5 ms. A sequence of successive frames was selected from the films to examine the influence of the injector parameters and the valve lift on the atomization process. The spray penetration was quantified by analyzing the high-speed films. The mean droplet size distributions from the injector nozzles were measured by using the Malvern particle sizer. The results presented are from an ongoing investigation to obtain information on the transient spray properties from several advanced fuel injector technologies for direct injection engine applications.
CitationHamady, F., Hahn, J., Hellman, K., and Gray, C., "High-Speed/High-Resolution Imaging of Fuel Sprays from Various Injector Nozzles for Direct Injection Engines," SAE Technical Paper 950289, 1995, https://doi.org/10.4271/950289.
Engine and Multidimensional Engine Modeling
Number: SP-1101; Published: 1995-02-01
Number: SP-1101; Published: 1995-02-01
- Savey, CW. Beck, J.N. Dobovisek, Z. Gebert, K “Injection Characteristics of High Pressure Accumulator Type Injector,” SAE Paper 890266 1989
- Kato, T. Tsujimura, K. Shintani, M. Minami, T. Yamaguchi, I. “Spray Characteristics and Combustion Improvement of D.I. Diesel Engine with High Pressure Fuel Injection,” SAE Paper 890265 1989
- Katsura, N. Saito, M. Senda, J. Fujimoto, H. “Characteristics of a Diesel Impinging on a Flat Wall,” SAE Paper 890264 1989
- Hamady, F.J. Kosterman, J. Chouinard, E. Schock, H.J. Chun, K. Hicks, Y. “Stratified Charge Rotary Engine Studies at The MSU Engine Research Laboratory,” SAE Paper 890331 , SAE Transactions 1989
- Morita, T.B. Hamady, F.J. Stuecken, T.R. Somerton, C.W. Schock, H.J. “Fuel-Air Mixing Visualization in a Motored Rotary Engine Assembly,” SAE Paper 910704 1991
- Hiroyasu, H. Arai, M. “Structures of Fuel Sprays in Diesel Engines,” SAE Paper 900475 1990
- Yoshikawa, S. Furusawa, R. Arai, M. Hiroyasu, H. “Optimizing Spray Behavior to Improve Engine Performance and to Reduce Exhaust Emissions in a Small D.I. Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 890463 1989
- Welberger, P. Cartellieri, W. “Fuel Injection and Combustion Phenomena in a High Speed D.I. Diesel Engine Observed by Means of Endoscopic High Speed Photography,” SAE Paper 870097 1987
- Allocca, L. Belardini, P. Bertoli, C. Corcione, F.E. De Angelis, F. “Experimental and Numerical Analysis of a Diesel Spray,” SAE Paper 920576 1992
- Gulder, O.L. Smallwood, G.J. Snelling, D.R. “Diesel Spray Structure Investigation by Laser Diffraction and Sheet Illumination,” SAE Paper 920577 1992
- Evers, L.W. “Characterization of the Transient Spray from a High Pressure Swirl Injector,” SAE Paper 940188 1994
- Koo, J.Y. Martin, J.K. “Droplet Sizes and Velocities in a Transient Diesel Fuel Spray,” SAE Paper 900397 1990
- Quoc, H.X. Brun, M. “Study on Atomization and Fuel Drop Size Distribution in Direct Injection Diesel Spray,” SAE Paper 940191 1994
- Diwakar, R. Fansler, T.D. French, D.T. Ghandhi, J.B. Dasch, C.J. Heffelfinger, D.M. “Liquid and Vapor Fuel Distributions from an Air-Assist Injector - An Experimental and Computational Study,” SAE Paper 920422 1992
- Lee, C.F. Bracco, F.V. “Initial Comparisons of Computed and Measured Hollow-Cone Sprays in an Engine,” SAE Paper 940398 1994
- Baritaud, T.A. Heinze, T.A. LeCoz, J.F. “Spray and Self-Ignition Visualization in a D.I. Diesel Engine,” SAE Paper 940681 1994
- Espey, C. Dec, J.E. Litzinger, T.A. Santavicca, D.A. “Quantitative 2-D Fuel Vapor Concentration Imaging in a Firing D.I. Diesel Engine Using Planar Laser-Induced Rayleigh Scattering,” SAE Paper 940682 1994
- Dodge, L.G. “Change of Calibration of Diffraction-Based Particle Sizers in Dense Sprays” Optical Engineering 23 25 626 630 October 1984
- Gulder, O.L. “Multiple Scattering Effect in Laser Diffraction Measurements of Dense Sprays with Bimodal Size Distribution,” ILASS Conference Madison, Wisconsin June 8-11 1987
- Lefebvre, A.H. Atomization and Sprays 397 402 Taylor & Francis 1989